POPCORN - the sitcom Page 2

Quote: Andy Kinsella @ October 21 2010, 1:11 PM BST

Hey

thanks for the feedback, I didn't really factor whether or not the actors are well known into the equation. Although we have no money, and its impossible to create a sitcom that would be ready for television, we still wanted to make an episode that hints at what it would look like if it were made for broadcast

With that in mind, I think the opening titles should be quite big, and as we have had theme music written specifically for it, would be a shame not to use it. The whole look of the episode has a certain nostalgic quality to it, with some quite retro electro music thrown in aswell etc and I feel the titles are a bit of a throwback, like some bad AHA video, but I think it works for this purpose

I agree the titles work on the office and extras, which are both great shows, but very different to this

oh and swansonite, had a look at the village swanson trailer, looks really good, ill have a look at more stuff when I get the chance!!

Andy

sticking to your guns like your style, I suppose we haven't seen the rest of the content really.

thanks mate, really appreciate that

Andy,
Not sure where in England you live. Would be great to share a pint or coffee sometime and hear about the whole process you went through from start to finish. I'm trying to get into sitcom writing and always interested in what you went through to get it up and running.

Give me a shout if you ever get some spare time.

Lee

Hey Lee

I live in Trafford, Greater Manchester, although most of our sitcom was filmed in Liverpool

I am no expert at sitcom writing or anything, I have just written and made a few short films and a feature film script and decided id have a go at a sitcom, but id be happy to discuss the whole process of how I got from the idea to the filming with you

Andy

Thats a shame. I'm on the other side of the country in Northampton. If you are ever down in London give me a shout if you have the time. Keep posting about how you are getting on with the movie and the very best of luck.

I have just finished the second trailer, this one has a bit of dialogue in it, hopefully you get a flavour of the show!!

the sound isnt great, but let me know what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKgmKwHx_xY

Andy

The trailers look interesting. Can't wait to see the whole thing, though I would strongly advise if all all possible to rename it. In short I assume it is a 'comedy about the staff at a cinema'. Well since that was probably the pitch for the film, Spark Pictures might take offence.

Beware the assumption that you thought of it first. The film was released (according to IMBD) March 2007. It would have been filmed 2006 and written 2005 at the absolute latest. Probably years earlier.

The makers of 'The Full Monty' were sued (and settled out of court) for alledgedly copying a play about 'a group of unemployed workers who develop a male strip show' (wiki).

So anything you can do to separate you from the film is a good idea, even a slight name change eg 'Popcorned'.

thanks for the comments

I understand what you are saying about the name, although to be honest its too late for that now. We did consider changing the name, but just felt the name suited it well. and there is a film called popcorn that predates the spark pictures one and they seem to be okay, plus I have just discovered their is also a pilot for an australian sitcom on YouTube also called popcorn that looks very similar. I guess its the obvious name for anything set in a cinema

if push comes to shove I can prove that I had a version of this written way back in 2004, many years before I heard of the spark pictures one. so I guess just cross my fingers and hope for the best