What's The Best Accent For Comedy

Even though I've not written one yet, I still reckon a geordy accent has a rich vein of comedy in every twisted vowel and mangled word. I call it 'Auf Wiedersehen Pet' syndrome.

That's true but you also can't beat a good Aussie.

Quote: David Chapman @ May 21, 2007, 9:56 PM

That's true but you also can't beat a good Aussie.

As she's over there right now, I think you'd have to check that with Elie JP.

As soon as I read the question I thought geordy, so there must be something about it

I'd have to say Dutch or South African although the Geordie guy in I'm Alan Partridge is hilarious

I find that if I read anything in Father Dougal McGuire's accent it makes it hilarious, even menus or instruction manuals.

But then there's also Barry's Brummie in Auf Wiedersehn too.

That's one accent I really can't take seriously. (No brummies on this forum are there?)

Careful David (lol), I`m not that far from B`ham & I suppose it does have a bit of a influence on the Midlands accent.

I thought I had a quite neutral sounding voice, but in Liverpool they think I`ve got quite a strong accent & can`t work out where I`m from. I think Northampton is a bit of a hybrid.

Btw, I`m a lover of all regional accents.

It's the Barry one I can't stand (he said trying to climb out of a hole).

Laughing out loud

Quote: Baumski @ May 21, 2007, 10:02 PM

As she's over there right now, I think you'd have to check that with Ellie JP.

I do actually like the Aussie accent in comedy. Dave Hughes is a very funny comedian with a very aussie accent. Check him out.

My favourite aussie programme (Thank God Your Here) is also funny.

Although (no offence to aussies) i actually can't stand the whiney Aussie women accents that go up at the end of every sentence. It's very frustrating.

And they call us Whingin' Poms! :O

I actually like a nice Oxford/Cambridge educated voice in comedy. ala Hugh Laurie or Stephen Fry.

Or just an accent like mine, then I'm not distracted by the accent itself, I'm just listening to the words.

Yorkshire or lancashire for me.

Quote: Baumski @ May 21, 2007, 10:02 PM

As she's over there right now, I think you'd have to check that with Elie JP.

>_<

In answer to the original question, as long as the words the voice is producing are funny it doesn't matter too much. Northern accents annoy me though.

Scouse is the best for comedy, especially when they try and talk all Tara Palmer Pomergranit.