American Re-makes

Comedy Central is to make an American version of Time Trumpet. Armando is to collaborate on the project.

Has anyone ever preferred (or liked) an American re-make? (excluding Americans)

http://bluenunblog.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/time-trumpet-to-be-remade-by-americans/

The Office is the obvious example of an American version that worked.

The US version of The Office is fantastic, and really a very very good show in its own right.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 25 2010, 2:18 PM BST

The US version of The Office is fantastic, and really a very very good show in its own right.

Agreed. I was excited to sit down and watch the season opener on Thursday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1dq3_R5ctI

Not sure how the show will survive the loss of Steve Carell at the end of the season, however.

Yeah, I kept thinking that through the entire episode.

They should not be so desperate and just end the show when he leaves. Do something else in the same sort of world, if they must, but stop trying to pretend it's the same show.

The only reason for not doing so is the money and success attached to the show; there can't be any other reason for stumbling on past his leaving.

What's wrong with making money? It's what every business and person wants/needs to do. There are plenty of other hilarious characters besides Carell's, so it remains to be seen whether it is a mistake to carry on without him. It'll be different without his character but not necessarily unfunny or bad.

Okay, so we agree The Office US works.

Are there any others?

Quote: DaButt @ September 25 2010, 7:42 PM BST

What's wrong with making money? It's what every business and person wants/needs to do. There are plenty of other hilarious characters besides Carell's, so it remains to be seen whether it is a mistake to carry on without him. It'll be different without his character but not necessarily unfunny or bad.

They've made enough money out of it, the only reason to keep going is because it's easier than risking something new. Are there other funny characters in the show? Well of course, but, for example, if Liz Lemon were to leave 30 Rock, I wouldn't want to watch a new series that still claimed to be 30 Rock. I also don't think about shows in regards to what is best for the channel or network, and how much money they're making, because that would be weird.

Quote: zooo @ September 25 2010, 8:10 PM BST

Are there any others?

I can't really think of any others that I like or have done well. I know in the seventies they made very succesful versions of Steptoe And Son and Till Death Us Do Part, but I've never seen them.

Sanford and Son is okay, but it hasn't held up well. All in the Family is still considered to be groundbreaking TV (for its time) and Three's Company was very popular, mainly for being naughty.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 25 2010, 8:56 PM BST

Three's Company was very popular, mainly for being naughty.

Oh yeah, I remember watching that when I was a kid and thinking it was funny.

Quote: zooo @ September 25 2010, 8:10 PM BST

Okay, so we agree The Office US works.

I don't. I think it sucks dick, compared to the original.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 25 2010, 8:56 PM BST

Sanford and Son is okay, but it hasn't held up well.

Hard to dislike Redd Foxx.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 25 2010, 10:05 PM BST

I don't. I think it sucks dick, compared to the original.

I prefer the original by miles. I don't love US Office, but it is good. They're completely different.

Quote: lolaola ola @ September 26 2010, 11:28 AM BST

very beautiful watches www.addresszooohasnowdeleted.com

Surely those are Arabic remakes?

I heard they did a version of Men Behaving Badly with Rob Schneider. Would like to see that. Did they ever make the US version of Peep Show?