Girlie Pirates Sitcom Synopsis

This is the current synopsis of Girlie Pirates.

Obviously it will change, develop and evolve as it grows, but this is my start point.

Anyway any comments greatly appreciated.

Girlie Pirates

Synopsis

Girlie Pirates is a contemporary comedy set in a traditional pub and barge boat on the Grand Union Canal.

Cardigan an edgy, quick-witted young barmaid wants to be a pirate. She has the clothes, the hair and the eyeliner, but with no boat and stuck in the Midlands, nowhere to sail it if she did.

Caught in the right light, Cardigan a curvaceous girl, just the right side of dirty, has the look of a pirate from the past. It`s a strange phenomenon, that catches people unawares. A fleeting glimpse of the past, then it`s gone.

Customers put it down to the ale in the Travellers End Pub where Cardigan works and maybe it is.

The Travellers End is a traditional old drinking pub, set next to the Grand Union Canal. It has its own curious customs together with a tight-knit group of eccentric locals, who view other punters as the enemy and passing trade as prey.

Top of the Travellers End pecking order, is the happily miserable Old Ted, who religiously props up the bar.

Old Ted has a soft spot for Cardigan and openly encourages her pirating ambitions. Having lived on the river all his life, Old Ted has resigned himself to seeing out his final years in his barge moored alongside the pub.

Ted`s barge, the Twenty Nine Steps, is the stuff of local legend and named after the number of steps Ted has to stagger before he hits the deck.

One dark night, after supping the last drops of his ale, Ted slides off his bar stool onto the floor.

Without a thought, Cardigan immediately rushes in to give Old Ted the kiss of life, but it`s no good, Ted is dead. When the paramedics arrive, they have to prise a devastated Cardigan away from Ted, assuring her that at least he died happy.

Old Ted and the rest of the locals are the closest thing to family Cardigan`s ever known and she can`t image life without the miserable old bugger and his continual moaning.

As Old Ted`s body is finally taken away, one gnarled, weather-beaten hand still clutches his precious silver tankard.

Determined even in death that Cardigan won`t give up on her pirating dreams, Old Ted leaves the Twenty Nine Steps to Cardigan in his will.

Overwhelmed by Old Ted`s generosity and encouraged by her best friend, the ever chirpy, but somehow scantily dressed student nurse Della, Cardigan decides to step up to the challenge.

Not one for being alone, Cardigan asks Della to barge-share. Della`s more than up for it, as moving in with Cardigan means life will be one lovely, lush, continual party.

As Cardigan and Della arrive with their guitars strapped to their backs, hauling black bin bags filled with their belongings and enough booze to sink a ship let alone a barge, Cardigan declares The Fist Chapter of the East Midlands Girlie Pirates open.

The Girlie Pirates are up for it, onto it and hot. Their mission to spread the word, party hard and have fun.

But as Cardigan and Della walk down the stairs to the living quarters, they find the bright white light streaming in from the windows temporarily dazzling.

As Cardigan and Della drop their belongings and rub their eyes, they find Old Ted has left a final surprise.

There in the lounge, from the top of his black perfectly formed quiff, to the tips of his blue swede shoes, stands Elvis Impersonator and sitting tenant Colin.

Cardigan and Della freeze. There`s something peculiar about Colin. Caught in the right light, from the right angle, he looks just like Elvis. It`s a strange phenomenon that catches them unawares. A fleeting glimpse, then it`s gone...

lol Sounds good, it sounds like it should be a book you've got a nice writing "voice" as it were. Looking foward to seeing this written.

Yeah... I like it a lot. I agree with Gavin... your writing style/voice is great. Precise and comprehensive... without sacrificing any creativity. This is the kind of thing that makes producers sit up. There are more than a few good ideas floating around (especially on this forum) but I think people forget about (or just screw up!) the delivery. The delivery is so important... and you have that nailed in this synopsis.

I love the actual idea too. I can see this working. The 'caught in the right light...' bits are great. A nice twist. And I can imagine the situations developing nicely.

Keep us posted... :)

Thanks for the positive comments guys:D

I posted it then wanted to hide!

Lol!

Yeah I just agree with the others, I think it's really well written. Also I like the possibility that this might go a bit supernatural. I don't know if it does? But mystery is cool!!

You could run out of Elvis jokes though as he's been joked about/caricatured a lot, so it might be difficult to find original stuff there.

But cool, post more!!

Thanks ShoePie:D

It will have its dark corners.

I take your point on the Elvis thing. I`m planning to take it in an original direction though, so I hope I`ll be able to pull it off!

Fantastic!

Thanks Leevil :D

I have to say I'm impressed, I've read a lot of rubbish in my time but this one has potential. I guess you are using the pilot episode to set up the sitcom premise, which would seem a good idea, as it's a slightly out-of-the-ordinary situation. Is Cardigan the protagonist, i.e. is she the one who will always have the main plotlines in the episodes, or are you sharing it with the other two? Good luck with the pilot script and the story outlines, if you show the same level of creativity and potential for conflict as you did above, then you will do well.

Quote: Doug @ May 20, 2007, 2:35 PM

I have to say I'm impressed, I've read a lot of rubbish in my time but this one has potential. I guess you are using the pilot episode to set up the sitcom premise, which would seem a good idea, as it's a slightly out-of-the-ordinary situation. Is Cardigan the protagonist, i.e. is she the one who will always have the main plotlines in the episodes, or are you sharing it with the other two? Good luck with the pilot script and the story outlines, if you show the same level of creativity and potential for conflict as you did above, then you will do well.

Wow! Thanks for the positive comments Doug, much appreciated.

I am using the pilot episode to set up the sitcom premise and Cardigan is the protagonist.

Thanks once again & welcome to the forum:D

Thanks, please could I ask what your MA in screenwriting was like, I guess it was london-based? Has it helped you when marketing your work? Do we have to give up our jobs to do it, or is it part-time / evenings? Thanks (sorry to go off-topic)

Yay! love it is all I can say!

Quote: Doug @ May 20, 2007, 3:54 PM

Thanks, please could I ask what your MA in screenwriting was like, I guess it was london-based? Has it helped you when marketing your work? Do we have to give up our jobs to do it, or is it part-time / evenings? Thanks (sorry to go off-topic)

I`m really enjoying my MA, I`ve just finished the first year of a two year course in Liverpool (although these courses are all over the country).

Initially the course was two evenings a week, but has now dropped to one.

I know you don`t need qualifications to write & I`m no academic, but what`s helped me most is being around others with the same aim & there`s a great bunch of people on the course.

All the workshops, critique and practice, not just with writing scripts, but treatments, synoses and loglines etc has to help. Since beginning the course, the first sitcom I`ve sent off ( not this one) has lead to a request for the rest of the script & further episode outlines.

I`m lucky as it`s fitting in with my life at the moment, but even if I wasn`t on the course, I`d still be writing.

I hope this helps:D

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ May 20, 2007, 4:43 PM

Yay! love it is all I can say!

Thanks for that SbF:D

Yes well written and has me interested. Good original set-up and plenty of opportunities to go places (quite literally)