Stand-up comedy help: Constructing your first 5 Page 2

It seems a very strange way to going about it-taking three weeks to prepare a piece of five minutes. I'd understand if it was a half hour piece. Perhaps you could try for a longer gig.

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 7 2010, 7:17 PM BST

It seems a very strange way to going about it-taking three weeks to prepare a piece of five minutes. I'd understand if it was a half hour piece. Perhaps you could try for a longer gig.

Well, she probably wants to write a lot of material and then rework and draft the best five minutes out of it she can, so the five minutes she actually performs isn't just the first few things she pissed out. I imagine.

The impression I get from all the advice I've received is that all new comics start out on 5s, and will probably do this for the best part of a year before moving up to open 10s and 15s. Then when you've honed your skills and hopefully got some very good material, you will look to move into paid 20s etc etc, but really you've got to either have worked very hard or be extremely lucky to instantly be good at it !

As far as I can tell, the majority of newbies will spend a long time (months in many cases) working on their first set, and then much longer gigging and developing it.

Also, up here even new acts nights tend to book acts around a month in advance, and it's silly not to use that time to prepare !

If you have any different takings on the whole affair let me know- advice is very very much appreciated.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 7 2010, 8:36 PM BST

Well, she probably wants to write a lot of material and then rework and draft the best five minutes out of it she can, so the five minutes she actually performs isn't just the first few things she pissed out. I imagine.

:D This.

This seems a very strange comment.

Top acts take a year to prepare an hour long show for Edinburgh, so for a new act to spend 3 weeks on their 5 minutes is about right.

I see quite a lot of new acts and I wish more of them would spend this sort of time working on their first 5.

I agree about the 1st line needing to be a killer. If you can find an original opening which is funny, you've got it made.
One of the most original openings I saw was Jim Tavare. He hauled his double bass in front of the mic, sang "Everybody's gone surfin'..." Then played the Jaws theme. Brilliant. And then he followed up with "Oh well, all the way here on the bus with a double bass for one joke." 20seconds gone and he had them.
Not suggesting you take a double bass, but some opening that is a bit different, (and funny remember!) will start the set off well.
Good luck, hope it goes really well.

I think that this might be my project over the next couple of days. Good advice, sir.

The night must be getting close. Have you got your killer opening line yet? Are you being 100% purist and writing every word yourself, or are you willing to consider suggestions?

I'd imagine Nat's going to write it all herself if it's her first gig.

I thought so too, but if the terrifying stage stepping moment is approaching rapidly and the old grey matter won't spit out the requisite killer first line, I know I'd feel better having a really great opener, even if one of my mates had come up with it. (No one would know...)

Is this your way of saying you'd like to write for her, Reg N-Dubz?

I always like to open with "What the f**k are you looking at?!"

Quote: Ben @ August 19 2010, 7:52 PM BST

Is this your way of saying you'd like to write for her, Reg N-Dubz?

I've experienced the rapture of having people pissing themselves at a line I wrote (mind you, I do work in care homes) but I've yet to write for someone else and see my little baby gags go off and have a life of their own.

Eep- didn't notice the thread had come back to life ! I currently have about 5 days and 2 hours left until we find out if my hard(ish) work has paid off !You can view the countdown on my blog !

http://www.comedyvirgin.blogspot.com/

I'm taking a stab at doing it all myself, but with some very helpful feedback from my lovely fella.

If the line works, as I expect it should given the geographical location, I am opening pretty strong. If the first line doesn't go down 100%, my entire first minute is very gag-heavy and should elliviate some of the pressure! I've also moved my order round a lot so I end on what I hope is a very strong section with a good punchline.

You never know though- I might come back in a week crying and in desperate need of some inspiration!

A guy I know from work tried to give me a gag and then admitted that he'd got it from a friend and had no idea of it's origin. It was a Milton Jones joke. Poor form.

Good luck, Nat. Remember to get someone to film it and then post it up here for us to pore over.