Female comedians Page 23

I like funny comics. Some are female. Some are male.

Lily Savage.

Sarah Alexander was 'hilarious' in those scenes in Armstrong and Miller where she got completely naked. My funny bone has rarely ached so much.

I'd agree that the best female comics are Lily Savage and Dame Edna Average (Sarah Alexander aside of course).

Quote: Vader @ April 5 2011, 8:48 PM BST

Sarah Alexander was 'hilarious' in those scenes in Armstrong and Miller where she got completely naked. My funny bone has rarely ached so much.

I know what you mean.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I loved Linda Smith. Bloody tragic that she's still not around anymore. God bless her!

Quote: Vader @ April 5 2011, 8:48 PM BST

I'd agree that the best female comics are Lily Savage and Dame Edna Average (Sarah Alexander aside of course).

How droll!

You can see why all the best comedians are men, with that kind of material...

Sarah Millican is one of my favourite comics of the female genre around at the moment. But, WTF is she doing on Loose Women?

She's genuinely a fan of Loose Women, so you can't really blame her. But it does hurt me inside.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ April 6 2011, 5:43 PM BST

But it does hurt me inside.

What? You being a loose woman?

In many ways Loose Women is just a televised BCG thread.

June Whitfield, Barbara Windsor, Molly Sugden, Joan Sims, Victoria Wood, Pamela Stephenson, Tracey Ullman, Ruby Wax, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Kathy Burke, Joanna Lumley, Jane Horrocks, Julia Sawahla, Miranda Richardson, Catherine Tate, Sally Phillips, Miranda Hart, Patricia Hodge, Sarah Hadland, Joanna Scanlan, Vicki Pepperdine, Jo Brand, Rebecca Front...and that's just in the UK.
I could go on and on - as you may think I am! ;)

I can't believe that this is even a discussion - of course women, as performers and writers of comedy - are as funny as men!
I think they are often funnier, and many of my favourites are written and/or performed by women. They seem to have the ability to be subtler, often cleverer, more bitingly satirical, don't scrape the bottom of the barrel so much and approach issues that men avoid.
Surely the last sixty years has cleared up this question. Several of the most important comedians have been female!

Sorry Todd but I think many of those are Comedy Actresses rather than comedians as such and there is a difference.

I'm not saying they are not good but I can't imagine June Whitfield, Joan Sims, Barbara Windsor, Joanna Lumley, Julia Sawahla, Miranda Richardson to start with doing stand-up.

To be fair, the title of the thread is 'comedians' not 'stand-ups'.

Quote: David Bussell @ April 7 2011, 4:17 PM BST

To be fair, the title of the thread is 'comedians' not 'stand-ups'.

But they aren't comedians are they. They are actresses.