Hogan's Heroes

No thread yet for Hogan's Heroes?

It was a major show in its day, but doesn't get mentioned much any more.

I only really know about it because it starred massive sex pervert and murder victim Bob Crane.

Quote: Nogget @ July 15 2010, 12:00 PM BST

No thread yet for Hogan's Heroes?

It was a major show in its day, but doesn't get mentioned much any more.

I know it was big in America, but was it here? The lack of re-runs suggest it can't have been. I've never seen it.

When I was a kid it ran constantly in reruns. Unfortunately it's mostly known for Bob Crane and his mess. Oh, and for Richard Dawson before his kissy Family Feud days.

Autofocus is a great film if anybody hasn't seen it.

That it is Chip.

I don't know what this is.
I think I always assumed it was something to do with Hulk Hogan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPk5mCYKCtU

I'd never heard of it.

I first heard about Hogans Heroes through The Simpsons (as comes most of my formal knowledge) when Homer is visited by Colonel Clink playing an aspect of his own conscience. Next time it re-entered my consciousness was the rather excellent Auto Focus.

It used to be shown on C4 in the late 80s or early 90s I think. It was ok.

Odd seeing that clip in colour, I remeber seeing it in the very dim distant past when the family and probably all of the UK had Black And Whiet tellys.

I remember watching it, didn't stick in my mind that much.
I Preferred Get Smart.

Still, interesting to see what happened to the actor who played Hogan.

I've got to admit I wasn't a fan of it when it was on, about tea timeish. The humour was very American, there seemed no getting away from it for a while, and I found Hogan annoying. And even I knew that the war had been over 30 years, so it seemed very oddly out of place.

There was a burly, dim German guard with a shiney steel German Infantry helmet, who kept getting the butt end of Hogan's and other inmate's practical jokes. The camp Kommondant was a bald guy [possibly with a monocle, though I ain't sure] ; this character actor looked the very epitome of 'cheeseball' US comedy, and not Tuetonic in the slightest. One of these two 'German' characters was called Klink, but I can't remember which one.

Folks who never watched WW2 documentaries and instead digested the likes of this show more than likely thought that the Second World War was no doubt a bit of a 'jolly jape'.

Quote: Rico El Vista @ February 7 2011, 5:11 PM GMT

There was a burly, dim German guard with a shiney steel German Infantry helmet, who kept getting the butt end of Hogan's and other inmate's practical jokes. The camp Kommondant was a bald guy [possibly with a monocle, though I ain't sure] ; this character actor looked the very epitome of 'cheeseball' US comedy, and not Tuetonic in the slightest. One of these two 'German' characters was called Klink, but I can't remember which one.

Hogan's Heroes was a great show to watch as a child. The book AutoFocus is better than the film and covers all of the initial controversy about a "Nazi sitcom", and provides details on Werner Klemperer, the German born actor who played Colonel Klink, the camp's commandant.

Quote: Rico El Vista @ February 7 2011, 5:11 PM GMT

Folks who never watched WW2 documentaries and instead digested the likes of this show more than likely thought that the Second World War was no doubt a bit of a 'jolly jape'.

I doubt that.