C4's "Shocking Comedy" series of programmes Page 3

I've never really watched Roy Chubby Brown but I think the whole idea of him is that loads of similarly minded people watch it already pissed.

TV comedy is slightly different.

His comments weren't taken out of context and I don't think that The Sun and the British press on the whole should be confused. Now anybody with a grain of intelligence knows that headlines like 'Christmas is to be banned' are massively exaggerated and these sort of incidents are largely caused by politically correct white people who do not want to cause offence. Muslims couldn't care less whether people celebrate Christmas or not. Royston Vasey's comments were based solely on the headline of one newspaper and showed a deep ignorance which, and i agree with you on this point, many people share.

The point about the documentary is that no documentary maker in the world who had their subject make those ignorant comments would ignore them. RV knew that he was being filmed and for him to talk about people, 'dressed up as pillar boxes' showed a remarkable lack of awareness.

So, it is agreed that Roy was simply voicing an opinion shared by much of the British public on the headlines that where. Roy would be the first to admit he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so yes, he does show a lot of ignorance. I'm not saying he is an angel, he isn't as tolerant as you and me to other races and cultures, but who in that generation is? My point is that the documentary made Royston Vasey out as if he was the only one who thought that. Quite frankly, anyone who says they have enver had a similar thought or opinion to what was said is lying.

P.S. I have been pretty much convinced that the documentry itself was not biased, but whoever was with RV, i think, had prejudices going into the project that he wanted to believe. The line between Royston Vasey and Roy Chubby Brown is obvious, as RV is a working class man from the North-East with a very vague opinion shared by most working class white males of his generation at least, while RCB the act is upfront, shock-value comedy based around sex, parenthood, childhood, and anacdotes as well as race.

Good point. It's like calling Warren Mitchell rascist.

He was an actor playing the part of Alf Garnett and it wasn't supporting his attitudes but laughing at that type of person ridiculing their prejudices.

I don't think it's quite the same as the Warren Mitchell situation. Sitcom and stand-up are different for one thing and, very importantly, Warren Mitchell never wrote any of those lines himself.

I agree that RV and RCB aren't the same thing though. I doubt whether anybody thinks that RV is the same person that he is on stage but I think any documentary maker would have pointed out the crossover when RV was making those comments.

Anyway, as we've found some common ground perhaps we should leave it there.