House Make-over

What do you think?

House Make-over Sketch

EXT. SUBURBAN HOUSING ESTATE. DAY.

A PRESENTER IS ABOUT TO PRESENT A SURPRISE MAKE-OVER SHOW.

Presenter
We are here outside the house of Mr and Mrs Hyphen where unbeknown to them, their daughter Kerry, has contacted us and asked if me and the team to transform the interior of the house while her parents are out on an appointment at the fertility clinic. They should be home at any minute so we all better hide so as not to arouse suspicion.

PARENTS CAR TURNS UP. THEIR DAUGHTER KERRY IS THERE TO GREET THEM.

Kerry
Hello mum, dad.

Both
Hello love. Everything ok?

PRESENTER EMERGES

Hello, Brian and Angela. I have to confess that we have played a little trick on you. I think Kerry has something to tell you.

Kerry (Gradually getting more emotional)
You know how much I love you both so because you always put me first and have always been there for me in all my hard times, I thought I would do this to let you know you are the best mum and dad in the world.

PARENTS AND DAUGHTER HUG AND KISS. PARENTS ENTER THE HOUSE.

Presenter
We’ll watch their response on our hidden camera.

HIDDEN CAMERA ON PARENTS.

Brian
Jesus love. This is shite.

Angela
Bloody awful. She’s got no taste.

Brian
I think you’re gonna have to tell her that she’s adopted and her real mother was a crack whore.

Angela
Yeah I suppose I should. I like that cute little presenter. You could join us when we have our pervy night.

Brian
Yeah she’s got nice tits.

CUT TO OUTSIDE WITH KERRY AND PRESENTER. PARENTS REJOIN THEM FROM THE HOUSE.

Brian
Thanks love, it’s fantastic.

Angela
Brilliant, that’s just what we wanted.

STUNNED SILENCE

Brian
What?

Hmmm. Good, but items like this can only really go two ways, either they love it which is agreement and therefore no comedy or they hate it, which again is fairly predictable. However the ending was a good one. There's a fine art in doing 'completely unaware that...' type set ups. which works here.

House Makeovers are difficult because the options are so limited. What could happen is a complete makeover, Where they don't like the house and so the kid changes her parents. Maybe you've covered that in passing.

With understated shock, the reaction of the parents is absolutely key and that's why I think it would've been better to end it on:

"I think you’re gonna have to tell her that she’s adopted and her real mother was a crack whore."

And as the scene goes to fade, let the focus be on the resigned faces of the parents. Still a nice spin on an old theme though.

I like it as it is.

Always room for change in anything though.

Hmmm, I'm not too sure.

I was expecting it to flip around. So instead of the daughter being the one to do the suprise on the parents, it turns out the parents have the suprise for her.

"Suprise you're adopted and we don't need you anymore!"

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote: Ed Parnell @ May 8, 2007, 12:37 PM

House Makeovers are difficult because the options are so limited. What could happen is a complete makeover, Where they don't like the house and so the kid changes her parents. Maybe you've covered that in passing.

Point taken Ed. But then, It would be a completely different sketch. Thanks anyway mate.