The WHO at the Superbowl

Don't know if any of the channels over there are carrying the Superbowl, but The WHO are doing the halftime show.

Rockers should either die, a la Morrison and Hendrix or grow as musicians, a la Robert Plant and Eric Clapton.

The WHO are singing (badly) their three CSI theme songs.

Have some respect.

The Who are still awesome live. Even if half the band is dead.

Clapton and Plant have grown? Yeah, right.

Undoubtedly, The Who have become a greatest hits band and Townshend has not been able to match the heights of Quadrophenia, Tommy and Who's Next (Lifehouse) in songwriting terms. When Keith Moon died the band lost more than just a drummer but, nevertheless, their volume of work bears comparison with the best. Comparisons with other bands/solo artists are irrelevant and Clapton would have been one of those dead musicians if Townshend hadn't got him out of his drug-clouded existence and helped ressurrect his career in the early 70's.

The saddest thing for me was the comment that The Who played their 3 CSI theme tunes!! How history rewrites itself in the hands of contemporary critics.

The Who's Super Bowl video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Io05fTLSg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqgtb3Nby4

Quote: Alan C @ February 8 2010, 1:01 PM GMT

The saddest thing for me was the comment that The Who played their 3 CSI theme tunes!! How history rewrites itself in the hands of contemporary critics.

The Super Bowl was broadcast on CBS and they just happen to be the network which airs CSI. To be fair, the CSI themes are among the most popular of the band's songs.

Undoubtedly, The Who have become a greatest hits band

What rock band who has been around that long doesn't? It's inevitable. Having said that, their last album of a couple of years back was pretty darn great.

Quote: DaButt @ February 8 2010, 1:04 PM GMT

The Who's Super Bowl video:

The Super Bowl was broadcast on CBS and they just happen to be the network which airs CSI. To be fair, the CSI themes are among the most popular of the band's songs.

Yes they are and were great songs long before one of the producers decided to use them as theme tunes for his show. I would like to think that CSI gets reflected glory from the songs and not the other way round :-)

Their live shows still have a great reputation.
I was amused by a Who concert review a few years ago by Simon Hoggart who said Pete Townshend look like some old balding bloke at a party doing a Pete Townshend impression.

Townshend has not been able to match the heights of Quadrophenia

How about the heights of paedophilia?

"Since the story of Townshend sex offender past broke nationally a week ago, which has been a subject of debate and argument, only one question matters.
Was Pete Townshend a registered sex offender in the UK from 2003 to 2008?

Answer: Yes.

Well that's that then. Sorry Pete. This precludes you from not only playing at the Super Bowl, it also stops you from entering the United States to begin with."

http://tinyurl.com/yduqch7

"We Won't Get Fooled Again" --- too right!

Quote: Morrace @ February 8 2010, 1:51 PM GMT

How about the heights of paedophilia?

Up pops Morrace with his usual crap. Brilliant.

Quote: DaButt @ February 8 2010, 1:04 PM GMT

That is very true. My main problem is that they are my grandpas age, and rock is a young man's game. I mean, think about the lyrics to 'Baba O'Riley', those are lyrics that evoke a certain era and a certain demographic. I can't imagine what the boys would have thought in 1971 if you had told them that they would be singing the song as senior citizens at the Superbowl--not to mention that it would be the theme song to the THIRD spin-off of a popular TV show. gives new meaning to 'the Who sell out.'

At least the Yanks know how to do a bit spectacle in their national sports events.
For the Cup Final we got some c-list has-been like Tony Hadley or Gerry Marsden.
However inspired by the Who doing TV themes perhaps the FA might extend to hiring Dennis Waterman and his pub band this year.

Quote: youngian @ February 8 2010, 2:55 PM GMT

At least the Yanks know how to do a bit spectacle in their national sports events.
For the Cup Final we got some c-list has-been like Tony Hadley or Gerry Marsden.
However inspired by the Who doing TV themes perhaps the FA might extend to hiring Dennis Waterman and his pub band this year.

Why would we need to bolster a sports game with another form of entertainment? The Superbowl needs it because of all the stops and starts in the game - a game of real football tends to generate its own excitement.

Have people forgotten the pre-match entertainment that accompanied early Sky live football matches? I remember the inflatable Sumo wrestlers. The first time was alright. The second time the novelty had started to wear off.

Let the Americans stick to their garish stuff. If we did it over here Simon Cowell would get his hands on that as well.

The Taliban used to do live beheadings during half time - now that's entertainment.

As much as I like their music, The Who are a bunch of crumbly old codgers who haven't written a decent tune for at least the last couple of decades.

Having said that, which new rock group would you put on for the half time show? N-Dubz? I think not.