Cemetery Junction by Gervais & Merchant

Trailer looks great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYDeHIszUqA

They have explored more serious tones with Extras in the past, which worked really well, so nice to see that they are making a more dramatic film. I like how it's been shot. Looks so fashionable, yet classy. Looking forward to seeing it.

The american voice over that comes on at the end and just say's "Cemetery junction" sounded weird

Quote: RobJ @ February 3 2010, 6:38 PM GMT

The american voice over that comes on at the end and just say's "Cemetery junction" sounded weird

Agreed!

But the trailer looks good, I'm looking forward to seeing it.
I'm glad both Ricky and Stephen are in it, even if in small roles.

Quote: RobJ @ February 3 2010, 6:38 PM GMT

Yeah, the real place certainly isn't pronounced like that.

I was surprised by the trailer. The film doesn't look anything like I imagined it would. It might just be the way the trailer has been edited, but it neither looked like the 70s nor Reading to me (and I remember both).

I worked at Cemetry Junction (Arthur Hill Pool) for years as a LifeGuard! Oddly, I learnt to swim in Ashmead school pool in the mid 70's...which would have been when Rick was a teen at the same school!

Ooh!
Ricky molecules.

I've been looking forward to this one for what feels like forever (thanks to Ricky's blog) especially as The Invention of Lying was a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully Mr M's involvement will make the difference.

:)

I remember Mr G saying about the styling that to be realistic in the 70's a lot of people would still have been wearing clothes from the 60's. The average man on the street is not up to date etc Kind of made sense logically but not sure how that translates when you're watching a film from a certain period.

All I remember is lots of brown/ cardigans.

Jx

His films have ranged from mediochre to shite, let's hope this one can capture some of his TV glory.

This is the first one properly by him (He's like Quentin Tarantino!) so it should be good.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ February 3 2010, 8:51 PM GMT

I worked at Cemetry Junction (Arthur Hill Pool) for years as a LifeGuard! Oddly, I learnt to swim in Ashmead school pool in the mid 70's...which would have been when Rick was a teen at the same school!

Have you seen the trailer? It looks nothing the real Cemetery Junction. There's no Jack of Both Sides and Mr Cod.

I did quite like Ghost Town. The Invention of Lying was an absolute mess of a film though, and the less said about For Your Consideration and the two Night at the Museums the better.

I will certainly be at the cinema for this. Having been to Reading a handful of times I don't think we should be too worried whether it looks identical or not.

Woo. A British film. Woo.

Maybe it's the way they've cut the trailer, but the overall impression I'm getting is that it's all schlmatz and no bite. The 1970s setting doesn't inspire me with confidence either - look, they wear strange clothes and have different haircuts, how hilarious.

I hope I'm wrong and that Cemetary Junction is a brilliant film and not just Ricky Gervais in a re-make of 'On The Buses'.

Is this the 'Men from the Pru" or is that something else entirely?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 4 2010, 1:09 PM GMT

Have you seen the trailer? It looks nothing the real Cemetery Junction. There's no Jack of Both Sides and Mr Cod.

I heard you Dolly - no one else seems to care though.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 4 2010, 2:04 PM GMT

Maybe it's the way they've cut the trailer, but the overall impression I'm getting is that it's all schlmatz and no bite. The 1970s setting doesn't inspire me with confidence either - look, they wear strange clothes and have different haircuts, how hilarious.

Yeah, it looks a bit rose-tinted in the trailer.

Quote: morgills1 @ February 4 2010, 1:22 PM GMT

I will certainly be at the cinema for this. Having been to Reading a handful of times I don't think we should be too worried whether it looks identical or not.

In the trailer it seems to be set in a quaint little village. Cemetetry Junction is a run-down area of a pretty ugly market town. But there's a mine of comedy in Reading and its people, from the trailer it doesn't look like it's here in this film. :(

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 4 2010, 5:43 PM GMT

Is this the 'Men from the Pru" or is that something else entirely?

I heard you Dolly - no one else seems to care though.

I believe this is the re-named Man From The Pru. Apparently the Prudential wouldn't let them use the title. It's a running joke in Reading that everyone, at one point or another has worked at the Pru.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 4 2010, 5:59 PM GMT

In the trailer it seems to be set in a quaint little village. Cemetetry Junction is a run-down area of a pretty ugly market town. But there's a mine of comedy in Reading and its people, from the trailer it doesn't look like it's here in this film. :(

You don't like his mother's line about "there's parts of Reading you haven't seen yet!"?

Old to people familiar with his old XFM shows and the podcasts and the like, but a cracker nonetheless.

Either way, give it a chance. It's only the trailer.