David Pleat - Greatest commentator ever?

I was watching Man Utd play Sheffield and Pleat was talking about Ronaldo, he said (I paraphrase):

"I'd compare him to the incomparable George Best."

Genius.

Although his commentry can be pretty woeful, he usually provides a laugh or two with his gibberish

"And the steam has gone completely out of the Spanish sails"

I suppose with Pleat they're not going to get a off-mic Atkinson moment. First, he couldn't concieve the idea, second if he did and spoke it, no one would understand what he'd said.

:)

For me the best ever is Murray Walker.

Although David Coleman is the most famous one due to Private Eye's Colemans Balls and for sheer quantity - for me Murray's quality always shone through (as well as just being a bloody good commentator who loves his sport of course).

One such classic being....

"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind
it which is identical."

Andy W

It wasn't funny in itself but I remember years ago Pleat saying "I've never known a player try to get another one sent off". Was he serious?

Nowadays I reckon that's Manchester United's aim every week.

I heard a gret story about ron atkinson, when he was a manager one of his strikers, who happened to be mis fiering at the time, got injured badly on his head, the physio ran over to atkinson and said "boss he doesn't know where or who he is" to which atkinson replyed "tell him he is pele and send him back on"

David pleat is a good commentator but i like graham le saux as well, he talks a good game and is quite entertaining.

An opportunity missed at the weekend Chapman.

Jamie Redknapp - can any one tell me what purpose he serves? He talks about a different game, I think it's hockey.

Chelsea fluffed, come on you reds.

Quote: SlagA @ April 23, 2007, 10:24 AM

Jamie Redknapp - can any one tell me what purpose he serves? He talks about a different game, I think it's hockey.

Imagine.. an england game at half time.. jamie redknapp and glenn hoddle about to convey to millions what they have just witnessed.. er, think i'd rather watch the first half all over again thanks!! That was the real nightmare in Israel, putting up with their drivel.

People have the old joke 'is jamie really related to harry, have you seen his face?' Well i'd like to add to that 'have you heard what comes out of his face?'.

I think Louise knows more about the game.

As for Hoddle, i'm actually a spurs fan but i think he's probably related to..come to think of it, maybe he's jamie's real dad!! It all makes sense now!

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ April 23, 2007, 8:32 AM

An opportunity missed at the weekend Chapman.

Yes - bastards. It was never a penalty and I'm a little hoarse still. (pony? - definitely).

I bloody hope they don't make the play-offs.

Quote: SlagA @ April 23, 2007, 10:24 AM

Is that Wrexham? They're the only Welsh red team I know.

[quote name="bombs over slough" post="16006" date="April 23, 2007, 5:53 PM"]
People have the old joke 'is jamie really related to harry, have you seen his face?' Well i'd like to add to that 'have you heard what comes out of his face?'.

To be fair to Harry he is that ugly because he was in a massive car crash. Apparently he's got no sense of taste or smell (no - don't do that one). That must really be a pain.

But also very useful. Can't be too fussy about food!