The Story Of Slapstick Page 2

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 26 2009, 11:43 PM GMT

The world and everyone in it, as in global. I know as small island people, it is hard to wrap your mind around such a big concept, but life exists outside the borders of Great Britain.

You know, you're so nice in person, why do you have to be such an aggressive nasty on here!?! Cool your blooming jets!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 26 2009, 11:50 PM GMT

You know, you're so nice in person, why do you have to be such an aggressive nasty on here!?!

\0/ Woo! I win! Wait...Matt, where are you going? Come back.

Teary Teary Teary

Jackass was a bit shit and on a (relatively) obscure channel. TV for the simple minded. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ December 26 2009, 11:58 PM GMT

Jackass was a bit shit and on a (relatively) obscure channel. TV for the simple minded. ;)

Couldn't agree with you more, it was the most basic humour imaginable, people falling over and hurting themselves...Just like slapstick

The point of slapstick: to give the impression of things going wrong in order to amuse people.

The point of Jackass: to piss around and see how far you can push yourself.

Like I said on the previous page, Jackass may be LIKE slapstick, but it isn't slapstick because it's not controlled.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 26 2009, 11:43 PM GMT

The world and everyone in it, as in global. I know as small island people, it is hard to wrap your mind around such a big concept, but life exists outside the borders of Great Britain.

Jackass was huge, much bigger then any British comedy show and it's antics were copied by reckless fools in almost every country on Earth. But at it's heart, Jackass was a slapstick comedy programme and the fact it was omitted from The Story of Slapstick, just goes to show how narrow minded, blinkered and parochial British television people can be.

Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, Wee man... Rolling eyes

I always presumed slap-stick was well choreographed acts, rather then aimlessly stapling ones butt-cheeks together.

Maybe they should have got a brief mention for some of their stunts, but I don't think it would have been in the theme of the show. Plus, you seem to know quite a bit about it, I thought you wanted to learn something new? :P

Quote: Leevil @ December 27 2009, 12:07 AM GMT

Plus, you seem to know quite a bit about it, I thought you wanted to learn something new? :P

It is so incredibly difficult when I obviously know everything about everything.

:)

Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, Wee man... Rolling eyes

I always presumed slap-stick was well choreographed acts, rather then aimlessly stapling ones butt-cheeks together.

Maybe they should have got a brief mention for some of their stunts, but I don't think it would have been in the theme of the show.

Yup.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 27 2009, 12:09 AM GMT

It is so incredibly difficult when I obviously know everything about everything.

:)

Heads or tails?

Quote: Aaron @ December 27 2009, 12:07 AM GMT

The point of slapstick: to give the impression of things going wrong in order to amuse people.

I could quote or post a link to the dictionary definition of slapstick, but it would prove me right and I'm just not big headed enough to gloat in my righteousness all night long (or indeed forever).

;) :P

Quote: Leevil @ December 27 2009, 12:14 AM GMT

Heads or tails?

Depends on her boat race. :O

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 27 2009, 12:17 AM GMT

Depends on her boat race. :O

Ones got a big crack in it.

Quote: Leevil @ December 27 2009, 12:19 AM GMT

Ones got a big crack in it.

Laughing out loud

*RC sings 'My Brown Eyed Girl'*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 27 2009, 12:17 AM GMT

I could quote or post a link to the dictionary definition of slapstick, but it would prove me right and I'm just not big headed enough to gloat in my righteousness all night long (or indeed forever).

*pats Renegade Carpark on the head* Yes, dear. :)

Quote: Aaron @ December 27 2009, 12:23 AM GMT

*pats Renegade Carpark on the head* Yes, dear. :)

For someone obssessed with accuracy, you certainly take a lackadaisical view when it suits your purpose. ;)

I always presumed slap-stick was well choreographed acts,

To me, true slapstick is what Leevil says above, rather than just strapping fireworks to an idiot's testicles and seeing what happens. That seems a bit more like a freakshow to me.