Victoria Wood's Mid-Life Christmas Page 10

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 1:18 PM BST

Didn't she win a Bafta recently?

Two :)

I blame her for the alarming rise in fat birds in the last 20 years. A lot of young women took her as a role model, and as shoving cakes, meat and potato pies and chips in her gob was a major part of her persona, look at was as happened to the obesity levels in England now. A far worse role model than those super skinny role model models, surely!

>_<

Ms Wood is a bacon roll model.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ June 18 2010, 11:25 AM BST

I blame her for the alarming rise in fat birds in the last 20 years. A lot of young women took her as a role model, and as shoving cakes, meat and potato pies and chips in her gob was a major part of her persona, look at was as happened to the obesity levels in England now. A far worse role model than those super skinny role model models, surely!

Have you seen her recently? She's much slimmer.

It was bad enough at Christmas. I bet my turkey would taste better 6 months later if I were to take a trip down the sewer and dig it out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/sep/27/victoria-wood-bbc-comedy-decca-aitkenhead

'she is still smarting, nine months later, from having had her 2009 special, Victoria Wood's Midlife Christmas, demoted from its promised prime-time Christmas Day slot to the night before. The BBC executive who made the decision didn't even, she says, bother to tell her.'

OK, minus 10 points to the BBC for manners there. That doesn't mean, however, that it deserved a prime-time Christmas Day slot. It didn't. The show was tired, turgid and surprisingly amateurish - and simply not funny enough. It's all very well for Victoria Wood to continue to bang-on, whining constantly about the way the BBC treats her, but does she expect everything she writes to bypass scrutiny? To be instantly greenlit no matter what the quality? She contradicts herself in this interview - on the one hand projecting the image of a modest, down-to-earth, Northern girl realist - whilst on the other basically expecting star treatment on the basis of past success.

I don't like anyone presuming that the BBC owes them a free ride. This includes any overpaid and unnecessary desk-fillers on the management side.

If the Beeb have treated you so badly, Ms Wood, then why not take your special talents to the other channels? Better than just regularly carping at the people who've given you so many commissions over the years. (See Lane, Carla...)

"Two soups!"

It was a Guardian patronising special interview. They do these interviews that would make Stalin sound a bit pathetic and possibly a bit gay.
I suspect she's thinking about her glory days when she was an institution.

But like most comics or indeed everyone over time her star has faded. Mel Smith makes films, Griff Rhys Jones gets angry on a boat, Stephen Fry is a sort of alternate monarch and Hugh Laurie entertains Americans.

Trying to do what you did 30 years ago is a bit silly. Unless you're Roy Chubby Brown.

Tired and turgid or not, the show will soon be out on DVD: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/victoria_wood_midlife_xmas/buy/

Quote: sootyj @ September 28 2010, 6:51 AM BST

Trying to do what you did 30 years ago is a bit silly.

Like my parents having sex, for example.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 28 2010, 6:40 PM BST

Like my parents having sex with me, for example.

Yeah, you're quite old enough to dodge the special coco.