The Peter Principle

Hi, I'm foreign but I'm an expert and fanatic of British sitcoms. Recently downloaded this fantastic The Peter Principle (or The Boss), made back in 1995-1997. Sadly only two series made. It's a marvelous sitcom because it's simple, with Broadbent, Skinner and (Bradley) superb comedy timing. What astonishes me is the change in writer-cast between first and second series. The first writer was the truly genius and the cast was excellent. Then in the second series they put pathetic actors among the bank staff, plus complicated and unlikely situations that affected the series magic.

I wish I could meet its writer or BBC people responsible and ask him/her:
"Aren't you ashamed of the poor result you acomplished?"
"Did you manage to find work after that?"

Cheers.
luis

You should fit right in around here

:)

I remember really liking The Peter Principle when it was on, but I'm not sure I saw all of it. That must have been the first series, clearly...

Dan

Having a quick look at the credits, it seems to have some of the most successful names in British comedy behind it, so I guess they did find work after it!

I've not seen the series yet. Maybe will stick some on tonight.

It was pretty MOR, fairly harmless, just never hugely funny. Obviously had the massively talented Jim Broadbent in it, but also (IIRC) the lovely Claire Skinner.. and David Schneider of all people?! :O

Quote: Aaron @ December 2 2009, 1:43 PM GMT

Having a quick look at the credits, it seems to have some of the most successful names in British comedy behind it, so I guess they did find work after it!

I've not seen the series yet. Maybe will stick some on tonight.

You are right, of course...I was joking.
It's just the first series so massively better than second series, obviously done by different writers.

Any suggestions of sitcoms to watch?
I can get any. Here is a list of the ones I've already seen (though not complete):

Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Alas Smith and Jones, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, The Young Ones, Smack The Pony, Kiss Me Kate, The Office, 'Allo 'Allo!, Dad's Army, Absolutely Fabulous, Little Britain, Are You Being Served?, The Fast Show, Hale and Pace, Benny Hill, The Peter Principle, Not The Nine O'clock News, Harry Enfield, The Thin Blue Line, The IT Crowd, Men Behaving Badly, One Foot in The Grave, Paul Merton series, Bottom, Monthy Python's Flying Circus.

OK, having mentioned all those great I saw, here is a list of the ones I didnt watch. What I would appreciate is your comments as which of these are worth buying/downloading based on the quality of its humour. Please NO teenage humour like the style of Red Dwarf, I absolutely dislike those. Well written text lines, timing and comedy talent is what I'm looking for.

So out of these which ones you would suggest and why. Mind you, I checked the video clips preview available on this site and was not convinced, maybe I missed the good parts, so please tell me which of these are REALLY talented comedy lines:

Vicar of Dibley
Porridge
Open All Hours
The Good Life
To The Manor Born
The Royle Family
Outnumbered
The Thick Of It
Benidorm (really ??)

or else of your choice.

thanks
luis

Copy the whole of that post after the first paragraph, and make a new thread. We'll advise in there. :)

If I remember correctly, The Peter Principle was a bit Brittas-ish but set in a bank rather than a leisure centre

Quote: peter gazzard @ December 3 2009, 9:27 AM GMT

If I remember correctly, The Peter Principle was a bit Brittas-ish but set in a bank rather than a leisure centre

Sums it up rather nicely.

Where did you manage to download this?

I've been absolutely everywhere for it!

I loved The Peter Principle when it was on.

A note to other members - please don't respond to Paul's request in public.