Camp comedians Norton and Carr criticised Page 2

Gaelips would have been better, but good try :D

Quote: Leevil @ November 19 2009, 3:11 AM GMT

Gaelips would have been better, but good try :D

Do you think for one fraction of a New York minute, I didn't consider Gaelips????

The other one was 'Gay-lick'. Both are too obvious.

Try again. :D

Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoyed 'Gaelic gay lips', it has a nice flow to it, but it's still not as pithy as Gaelips.

Quote: Leevil @ November 19 2009, 3:23 AM GMT

Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoyed 'Gaelic gay lips'

If the rumours are true, that should be in the present tense.

:O You cheeky scamp, you!

*playfully hits Morrace*

Quote: Leevil @ November 19 2009, 3:29 AM GMT

:O You cheeky scamp, you!

*playfully hits Morrace*

"Ooh, you are awful - but I like you!"

--- and struts off in ill-fitting high-heels. :D

*tries to hide his erection* :$

Quote: Chappers @ November 19 2009, 12:34 AM GMT

Peter Tatchell is angry because he worries about stereotypes of gay comedians.

Speaking to The Stage, Tatchell said: "Gay comedians like Graham Norton and Alan Carr are great, but terribly cliched and stereotypical. They pander to very tired archetypes of gay men and are just a continuation of John Inman and Larry Grayson.

"It shows little imagination and can reinforce prejudices. The problem is not that they are camp comedians, but that they are the only kind of gay comedian that have major TV programmes. Why hasn't any intelligent, non-stereotypical comedian like Scott Capurro got a prime-time slot?"

He added: "Heterosexual audiences like laughing at gay men and so people like Alan Carr and Graham Norton fit that bill, whereas Scott Capurro is much too challenging. He makes straight people the butts of his jokes."

1. I guess it's because nobody has heard of Scott Capurro.
2. Is he funny?
3. Maybe there are other gay comedians who don't make a big thing about being gay and never mention it in their shows.

Even though he wears makeup I don't think Izzard makes many jokes about his being good with colours.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 19 2009, 1:11 AM GMT

Although I agree with Tatchel, he needs to understand that camp gay comedians are really the only kind of gay comedians most non gay viewers want.

All of my faghag friends think their gay friends dance to shirley bassey in hotpants every night, rather than suck off half a dozen strangers down at the gym.

It must hurt to still be considered a stranger after all these years.

Oh and Eddie Murphy is queer as you like but never talks about it.

Quote: sootyj @ November 19 2009, 7:43 AM GMT

Even though he wears makeup I don't think Izzard makes many jokes about his being good with colours.

Eddie's not gay though is he. He said he's more like a lesbian in a man's body - like Martina Navratilova.

I think Mr Tatchel needs to watch a bit more TV... Stephen K Amos is hardly a black Larry Grayson and anyway for every Alan Carr there is a Tim Allen.

Tatchell is a twat but I agree there should be more Paul Sinha. Capurro is amusing but not really funny.

And as others have mentioned, he's clearly forgotten about Stephen Fry, Stephen K Amos, Simon Amstell, Matt Lucas and probably some others.

And why doesn't he mention lesbian comedians like Sandy Toksvig, Sue Perkins and Patricia Routledge (apparently)? The big sexist twat.

He's not actually criticising Norton and Carr though is he.
You Daily Mail style thread namer, you. :)

TV, Theatre, the Arts in general have been riddled with campness since the dawn of civilisation. There are possibly just as many non gay campers on TV as there are gay campers. It's so ingrained in TV it has become a way of getting on in your career if you can fit in with the camp scene, on or off air. Someone who hasn't been mentioned yet is Ben Fogle - he's become increasingly camp on most of his shows even tho he isn't gay. And Simon Cowell, another non gay who is unbelievably camp at times. This irritates me FAR more than the gay comedians who use campness in their act.

I can understand Tatchell's anger but he has to direct it at the highest level in the TV co.s themselves - it is the entire ethos of TV media that is inherently camp, and promotes campness in almost everone who works there. Is it any wonder then that real gays flock to TV in their droves to try and make a successful career out of being camp? It's what TV's all about. But I think it has got far too much, for me, there's screaming campness everywhere on TV nowdays.

For all Peter Tatchell's faults, anybody who has tried to perform a citizens arrest on Robert Mugabe is alright in Chip's book.

Quote: chipolata @ November 19 2009, 10:20 AM GMT

For all Peter Tatchell's faults, anybody who has tried to perform a citizens arrest on Robert Mugabe is alright in Chip's book.

Is 'citizens arrest' a euphemism for blow-job?