Robin's Nest

Despite the fact I really can't afford it at the minute, I saw the first series of this sitcom for half price in HMV today, so I purchased it. Watched the first episode, some funny moments and I think it has a lot of potential to be a sitcom I will like. Has anyone else seen it? What do they think of it?

What's the betting there's already a thread for this? :)

I'm sadly old enough to remember watching it first time round. I enjoyed it but haven't seen it for probably over twenty years!! Eek! I've no idea how dated it would seem now, but would watch if I caught it on TV.

There just seemed to be good chemistry between them all and it didn't take itself too seriously.

Plus what with my being a teenager at the time he seemed quite dishy. :$

Jx

Quote: Jane P @ November 4 2009, 8:09 PM GMT

What's the betting there's already a thread for this? :)

Checked and there isn't. How could you not check, with that big STOP sign whenever you start a thread.

I enjoyed it when I watched it aged about 5 to 7 years old. I do strongly remember Tessa Wyatt telling her father something along the lines of: "Don't be silly Daddy, no one wears a bra any more."

As an unintelligent child, I liked the animated birdies in the opening credits. I didn't even mind the cheesy synthy 'wap-wap-werp-werp' theme music (by Richard O'Sullivan IIRC). I also liked the one-armed dishwasher (David Kelley, aka O'Reilly the builder) As an unintelligent adult, I don't think I would bother watching Robin's Nest again. Unless I stumbled across it while channel flicking and the only other programs on at the time were infomercials, soap operas, reality shows, talk shows or crap game shows.

I liked Man About the House and George & Mildred but this never appealed to me when repeated on Paramount. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Well being a coffee drinker, I may like it better than you.

Quote: Robert D @ November 4 2009, 10:57 PM GMT

Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Quote: Jack Massey @ November 4 2009, 11:07 PM GMT

Well being a coffee drinker,

Yep, you'll like Robin's Nest, Jack.

I used to watch it as a kid and I think the only character I liked was the one-armed Irish waiter. I saw a bit of an episode a couple of years ago and there was the following scenario:

Robin
So you got the steak then. Is it rare?

Waiter
No. There's plenty more in the freezer.

Vaguely remember watching this when I was little.

Quote: Griff @ November 4 2009, 11:39 PM GMT

I do remember a not-very-hilarious episode where some officials came to visit the cafe and thought that the lead character was called "Robin Snest". What japes!

That's all I remember although I think he was the sign writer who got his name wrong - how we laughed.

I believe the two stars spawned a very bitter on air joke from Tony Blackburn:

"What's the definiton of alimony?"

"Money you pay your wife to sleep with another man"

Ouch.

Quote: youngian @ November 5 2009, 1:19 PM GMT

I believe the two stars spawned a very bitter on air joke from Tony blackburn-

Huh?

Not a bad little sitcom this. Granted there are many better but also many far worse. Always nice to see Richard O'Sullivan at work again.

Quote: youngian @ November 5 2009, 1:19 PM GMT

That's all I remember although I think he was the sign writer who got his name wrong - how we laughed.

I believe the two stars spawned a very bitter on air joke from Tony Blackburn:

Ouch.

Oh yeah, Tessa Wyatt left him for Richard I think, and he was very upset over it.

Never thought much of it. Left me cold. Perhaps I'd appreciate it a little more now that I've seen (most of) Man About The House, but I've no immediate intention to purchase it.

Having said that, I'll now head off and see how much it costs. :(

I've watched the first four series or so recently. I'd rank it as one of my favourites. I prefer it to Man about the House (although I like it) but would rate it about equal to George & Mildred. I can rewatch it which is a sign for me I like it.

What do I like about it? I like its cosiness. Good characters. Lots of cheap jokes - which might seem corny - but they tickle my funny bone. Some good themes. About every day situations - which I like. The cast are very good too.