Stand-Up Documentaries

I'll pretty much watch any documentary going about the life of the stand-up comic and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I already have Jerry Seinfeld's Comedian, The Aristocrats and When Stand Up Stood Out but I'm damp for some more.

The film Lenny is pretty good, but that's more a biography than a documentary, innit?

Quote: Ben @ October 19 2009, 1:42 PM BST

The film Lenny is pretty good, but that's more a biography than a documentary, innit?

It's pretty good though. It's also on TV this week, innit?

I've seen Lenny and it was good. You've just reminded me that I once saw a VHS of his stand up at the point when he was railing against the man and forgetting to put jokes in his set, as covered in the movie Lenny. It wasn't in the least bit entertaining. I also just remembered that I once saw Eddie Izzard play Lenny in a stage production - the opening of which included Eddie fully nude (and not, as I had hoped, Elizabeth Berkley).

Generally there aren't really any documentaries about stand-up. It's not really a branch of the arts that suits documentary, I suppose. Documentaries usually mean taking the subject a bit seriously, and I guess most stand-ups would worry that would make the look a bit of a pretentious tit (which it probably would).

There was that recent BBC Four documentary series about the history of American comedy (can't remember the name), which was heavily slanted towards stand-ups and was pretty darn good. Might be worth looking into (iPlayer?). :)

There's I'm from Hollywood, the documentary mostly about Andy Kaufman's wrestling stuff. Most people would probably rather watch Jim Carrey as Kaufman though (rather than the real thing). Much like how a friend of mine prefers listening to Joaquin Phoenix's covers of Johnny Cash songs rather than the originals, simply because she's more familiar with the Walk The Line movie than Cash's records.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 19 2009, 1:56 PM BST

There was that recent BBC Four documentary series about the history of American comedy (can't remember the name), which was heavily slanted towards stand-ups and was pretty darn good. Might be worth looking into (iPlayer?). :)

Thanks, Tim, I'll check this out.

Quote: Kenneth @ October 19 2009, 2:08 PM BST

There's I'm from Hollywood, the documentary mostly about Andy Kaufman's wrestling stuff. Most people would probably rather watch Jim Carrey as Kaufman though (rather than the real thing). Much like how a friend of mine prefers listening to Joaquin Phoenix's covers of Johnny Cash songs rather than the originals, simply because she's more familiar with the Walk The Line movie than Cash's records.

Another good suggestion. I'll see if I can find a copy. Cheers, Kenneth.

There are a few listed here - http://www.ovguide.com/browse_movies?genre_id=2124&order=title - as well as just some DVDs of plain ole stand-up.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 19 2009, 1:25 PM BST

I'll pretty much watch any documentary going about the life of the stand-up comic and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

You're officially the Hermione Granger of the BCG!

Now off to the library for magical comedy shenanigans with Cotter and Don.

Quote: Finck @ October 19 2009, 2:24 PM BST

You're officially the Hermione Granger of the BCG!

Now off to the library for magical comedy shenanigans with Cotter and Don.

I'm sorry, Finck, I don't understand any of that. Have you been at the crackstasy again?

The Comedians of Comedy ... 6 part show ... in front of and behind the scenes...

Quote: Kenneth @ October 19 2009, 2:17 PM BST

There are a few listed here - http://www.ovguide.com/browse_movies?genre_id=2124&order=title - as well as just some DVDs of plain ole stand-up.

Good spot, K. Looks as though the bank balance is going to take a battering with all the P&P.

With a bunch of "alternative" comedians ... I enjoyed it in a casual way ... nothing special.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 19 2009, 2:29 PM BST

I'm sorry, Finck, I don't understand any of that. Have you been at the crackstasy again?

Yes. Teary

Quote: thefridaylink @ October 19 2009, 2:30 PM BST

The Comedians of Comedy ... 6 part show ... in front of and behind the scenes...

Yeah, I've heard of this but I was a bit put off by the sheer number in the series.