GM foods

Genetically modified food. What do we think?

Quite a controversial subject. I'm watching an article on the subject on Countryfile at the moment, and it seems that quite a bit of the usage of GM technology would be to make vegetation resistant to various pests - a more reliable replacement for the equally controversial pesticides.

There are other concerns of course, such as religious nutters who reckon it's "playing God" (yawn), and the possibility of a negative effect on other wildlife and vegetation - although this is being described as "negligibly tiny" chances (or words to that effect).

So ... genetically modified food. Yes? No?

Personally, it's not something that really bothers me. Perhaps it would, or I'd feel stronger in support of it, if I was more well versed in the exacts and worries, but right now I haven't any concerns. It seems common sense that in a world with an exploding population and changing environment that we should use our scientific knowledge to make things more resilient, more healthy, and introduce any other benefits possible.

(Such as a purple tomato which has been created in Norfolk, apparently with cancer-fighting/resistant properties.)

I'm not massively worried, as we humans have been creating GM foods (both plant and animal) for thousands of years. It's called farming.

Quote: Aaron @ September 13 2009, 7:24 PM BST

I'm watching an article on the subject on Countryfile at the moment, and it seems that quite a bit of the usage of GM technology would be to make vegetation resistant to various pests - a more reliable replacement for the equally controversial pesticides.)

I assume it's related to this man's passing? Some say his work saved up to a billion lives.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6832878.ece

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 13 2009, 7:34 PM BST

I'm not massively worried as we humans have been creating GM foods (both plant and animal) for thousands of years. It's called farming.

Ha, yes, a good point.

Quote: DaButt @ September 13 2009, 7:38 PM BST

I assume it's related to this man's passing?

No.

Quote: Aaron @ September 13 2009, 7:46 PM BST

No.

Well it's a timely coincidence.

Massively in favour. The alternate is millions starving.

Not enought GM Food for me.

The goverment pay 40 million a year to be in the EU, and have to legally take in a percentage of produce from other EU countries and fly it in (global warming) whilst the goverment PAYS farmers to leave their land unused... and we moan about unemployment! Get them on the f**king farms working!

Quote: Scottidog @ September 13 2009, 8:01 PM BST

The goverment pay 40 million a year to be in the EU

Actually it's almost £11.25 million a day.

The financial year 2010-11 will see it rise to £17.53 million. A day.

For a proper fair and balanced view of the debate -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeNROdfDIE

Quote: Aaron @ September 13 2009, 8:14 PM BST

Actually it's almost £11.25 million a day.

The financial year 2010-11 will see it rise to £17.53 million. A day.

It is 40 million a year. Your figure is after the rebate.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 13 2009, 8:21 PM BST

For a proper fair and balanced view of the debate -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeNROdfDIE

I have got to watch Alan again, the box set is looking at me.

Like a lot of British consumers, I don't care how it's made or if it's good quality, as long as it looks nice on the shelves of my supermarket.

Can you imagine buying a carrot that's a bit bent and wobbly? I know, it scares me too.

So in closing, do what you like to food and the planet, but make sure my vegatables look cosmetically perfect and identical.

Quote: sootyj @ September 13 2009, 7:56 PM BST

We are well above sustainable levels of agricultural output already, so unless something dramatic is done about population growth millions are going to starve whatever we do. The problem with feeding the poor is that more of them survive to breed, so at best you are putting off the day of reckoning, and possibly making it worse. (Much like Labour's policy of borrowing to spend.)

Of course Malthusian abstract thinking is repulsive, but there is an economic as well as a ideological case for encouraging sustainability and diversification, rather than handing over the planet's food production to the pesticide companies' genetically-modified monoculture clones.

The benefits of genetic modification are potentially enormous, but the risk of perverse economic consequences cannot be understated. Any introduced species can result in ecological, and therefore economic, havoc; global agribusiness is increasingly likely to flourish at the expense of local interests; and in an arms race between science and nature, nature is always the bookie's favourite, so over-reliance on the pest resistance of cloned monocultures could easily backfire. Just a few of the potential risks.

I am not opposed in principle; indeed I think the growth of the technology is ultimately inevitable. But by applying the brakes now we can try to ensure that the technology is exploited responsibly and for the common good of mankind, rather than as short term expedient to paper over problems and turn a fast buck.

Quote: Scottidog @ September 13 2009, 8:31 PM BST

It is 40 million a year. Your figure is after the rebate.

I think you mean before, not after. :)

(And even after the rebate, £40 million is still an outdated figure.)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 13 2009, 8:39 PM BST

Can you imagine buying a carrot that's a bit bent and wobbly? I know, it scares me too.

So in closing, do what you like to food and the planet, but make sure my vegatables look cosmetically perfect and identical.

You love an amusingly shaped vegetable, and you know it.

Quote: sootyj @ September 13 2009, 7:56 PM BST

Agreed.

Although don't tell anyone I work with...