The Arthur Haynes Show

The Arthur Haynes Show. Arthur Haynes. Copyright: Associated Television.

The Arthur Haynes Show

Largely forgotten but hugely popular, long-running sketch show starring Arthur Haynes with support from Nicholas Parsons and scripts by Johnny Speight

youngian

• Monday 24th August 2009, 5:40pm
  • England
  • 1,727 posts

I have only ever seen clips of the show and Arthur Haynes in the odd film and he looks like a really funny belligerent comedy character.
His show lasted nine years, was written by Johnny Speight before he concentrated on Alf Garnett and often co-starred Nicholas Parsons as an establishment character on end of Haynes' wagging finger.
Can't find any DVD releases but if anyone knows any different or had any memories of his show I'd be very interested.

Aaron

• Monday 24th August 2009, 5:54pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,316 posts

AFAIK it's never been on DVD. Perhaps someone at Network is reading this though...

Aaron

• Tuesday 25th August 2009, 3:46am
  • 68,316 posts

:D

Chappers

• Tuesday 25th August 2009, 4:02pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,222 posts
Quote: Aaron @ August 24 2009, 1:54 PM BST

AFAIK it's never been on DVD...

????????????

Aaron

• Tuesday 25th August 2009, 5:19pm
  • 68,316 posts

AFAIK: as far as I know.

Is that what you were confused by?

Chappers

• Tuesday 25th August 2009, 5:38pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,222 posts

Yes.

I remember watching this when I was young. Nicolas Parsons was his straight man. Loads of sketches which at the time I probably didn't really understand.

Tursiops

• Tuesday 25th August 2009, 9:45pm
  • Welwyn Garden City, England
  • 9,788 posts

Before (even) my time, but have enjoyed the clips I have seen - would like to see more.

peter gazzard

• Wednesday 26th August 2009, 1:16am
  • England
  • 839 posts

Read somewhere, think it was a Sid James bio, that Arthur lived on same street as Sid

youngian

• Friday 28th August 2009, 4:08pm
  • England
  • 1,727 posts

Doctor in Clover includes a rare widely available Arthur Haynes performance which also features another underused 60s comedy great; Fenella Fielding in which they both play very awkward patients and have this dance sequence together to relieve their boredom.

Les Booth

• Thursday 30th December 2010, 8:04pm
  • England
  • 4 posts

Does anyone know if the nostalgic tune that used to be played in his 'silent' routine was a recognised piece of music or simply written for the show ? If it was a recognised piece - any details please ?

Aaron

• Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 2:11pm
  • 68,316 posts
Quote: Aaron @ August 24 2009, 4:54 PM GMT

AFAIK it's never been on DVD. Perhaps someone at Network is reading this though...

It does look like they may have been.

Product artwork - buy at Amazon
Buy at Amazon
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/18876593/The-Arthur-Haynes-Show-Volume-1/Product.html]