What is the name of this British comedy?

It's a British comedy about an older director who directs an episode of some TV series. Atmosphere on the set is really hectic, the director keeps yelling at everybody all the time (except at the lead female actor to which he is kissing up). A young lad steals a hand camera and films a 'behind the scenes' documentary during the movie. The movie ends with the director having a stroke and ending in a hospital watching the same episode of the series he stressfully directed.

Please help!

I'm usually pretty shit-hot at Google detective work but this has defeated me. I see you've also asked this on Yahoo Questions. Maybe that'll help.

Is this a film or TV-comedy-play? How old are we talking? 1960s? 1980s? 1990s?

It's a film, and I'd say it was probably released very recently, 2 or 3 years ago, even less

I remember it ended with a bunch of kids watching the tape of the lad who stole the camera; they were watching it at his home and then the TV suddenly exploded, and that was the end (kinda stupid but oh well)

thanks for the effort guys

Quote: Jonathan Hawkes @ August 22 2009, 11:26 AM BST

It's a British comedy about an older director who directs an episode of some TV series. Atmosphere on the set is really hectic, the director keeps yelling at everybody all the time (except at the lead female actor to which he is kissing up). A young lad steals a hand camera and films a 'behind the scenes' documentary during the movie. The movie ends with the director having a stroke and ending in a hospital watching the same episode of the series he stressfully directed.

Please help!

The first part of your description sounds like Noises Off..., but not the second.

The stage version of that is the greatest farce I have ever seen. :)

Hi Jonathan,

I think you're talking about Ready When You Are Mr. McGill, a 2003 British comedy film. It starred Amanda Holden as the actress (playing a police cop) and Bill Nighy as the angry director.

Quote: Mark @ August 24 2009, 1:25 PM BST

Hi Jonathan,

I think you're talking about Ready When You Are Mr. McGill, a 2003 British comedy film. It starred Amanda Holden as the actress (playing a police cop) and Bill Nighy as the angry director.

I think so too and the one you mention Mark is a remake. I have been trying to get hold of it for ages.

Quote: Mark @ August 24 2009, 1:25 PM BST

Hi Jonathan,

I like the first review on IMDB.

"Another little British gem. Maybe I should have given it a ten, but almost nothing deserves a ten. Well, maybe Lord of the Rings..."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385986/

Thank you very much Mark!!
That's the one alright, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_When_You_Are,_Mr_McGill

"I've never seen the young man before in my life, and I've worked here 40 years"

:)

cheers ^^