Shappi Talk

What are people's thoughts on this? As much as I like Shappi Khorsandi (and indeed fancy her) I thought it was disappointing "look-at-me-I'm-Iranian" stuff. And I usually like Felix Dexter but his stand up routine was poor, and just why they included a tedious interview with Myra Syal is anybody's guess.

I can't believe I was ever upset about losing the "Current radio comedy..." thread, this way I get to have dozens of different threads on the go at once! And I haven't even started on BBC7 shows yet!

Just listened to this, really enjoyed it. The interview, yeah, a little odd perhaps, but I think it's nice to have a show with a bit of variety to it, mix and break things up a little, rather than a straight half-hour of standup or whathaveyou. Good stuff.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/shappi_talk/

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2009, 3:20 PM BST

Just listened to this, really enjoyed it. The interview, yeah, a little odd perhaps, but I think it's nice to have a show with a bit of variety to it, mix and break things up a little, rather than a straight half-hour of standup or whathaveyou. Good stuff.

I think it'll get better once she moves on from racism. Racism's just dull. It's bad. There's not much else to say on the subject.

Quote: chipolata @ July 15 2009, 9:51 AM BST

and just why they included a tedious interview with Myra Syal is anybody's guess.

I thought it was alright - the show definitely has potential once it moves away from the racism bit. I didn't mind the Meera Syal bit - I thought it was a bit long, but quite sweet.
I'm seeing Shappi live on Saturday night - looking forward to it :)

I thought this was a thread about Captain Sensible hits.

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2009, 3:20 PM BST

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/shappi_talk/

That link says John Gordillo was brought up in an Italian background but I'm sure they said Spanish on the show. If indeed it were he, heard part of it tonight for the first time whilst driving.

Curates egg I thought.

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 16 2009, 9:36 PM BST

That link says John Gordillo was brought up in an Italian background but I'm sure they said Spanish on the show. If indeed it were he, heard part of it tonight for the first time whilst driving.

No, you're right and the idiot guide's wrong (this place Rolling eyes !)

I'd agree about it being a curates egg. Some nice if unspectacular stuff, but I wanted to hear more about Shappi's dad and the fatwa out on him. Also the song was weak. And John Gordillo's bit - what was that? Half interview, half stand-up? As for Lenny Henry - same old same old from him. I'd have much rather heard him talking about Premier Inns.

I don't like Shappi's stand-up. She seems to deliver every gag in the same way.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 17 2009, 10:03 AM BST

I don't like Shappi's stand-up. She seems to deliver every gag in the same way.

Racist!

Quote: chipolata @ July 17 2009, 10:04 AM BST

Racist!

Is she?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 17 2009, 10:06 AM BST

Is she?

Ah, the old Nick Griffin trick of pretending the victim of your vicious slurs is actually the problem. Shame on you, Dolly Dagger!

Although in terms of her stand-up, she is fairly one note. But it's a nice inoffensive note.

Quote: chipolata @ July 17 2009, 10:09 AM BST

But it's a nice inoffensive note.

It offends me.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 17 2009, 10:14 AM BST

It offends me.

:)