Gelotophobia

From today's edition of The Times...

Why the last laugh isn't always funny

Graham Keeley Barcelona

The British may pride themselves on their sense of humour but they are really an oversensitive, paranoid nation prone to gelotophobia - a condition in which sufferers always believe the joke is on them.

That, at least, is the punchline to one of the ideas presented at the International Symposium on Humour and Laughter; a six day "humour summer school" hosted in Granada by a US-based group of psychologists, sociologists and linguists.

A typical gelotophobe hears a stranger's laugh and believes he or she is the butt of the joke. In extreme cases this can induce sweating, palpitations, trembling or simply freezing up.

Willibald Ruch, of the University of Zurich, said that Britain had the highest number of gelotophobes in Europe - although, funnily enough, he didn't explain how he had arrived at this conclusion. "Within Europe, Britain is on the top - absolutely on the top", said Professor Ruch.

British academics responded with a few deadpan presentations of their own. Christie Davies, an emeritus professor at the University of Reading, said that the fall of many totalitarian regimes had proved lethal for humour. "Jokes are a way of getting around restrictions on what you can say. That was a very important factor in Eastern Europe", Professor Davies said.

Researchers found that, among friends, rival joke-tellers often try to outdo each other - leaving those unable to compete feeling mildly depressed, Beatrice Priego-Valverde, of the University of Provence, France, said: "Making jokes is very competitive and can generate isolation."

The academics also debated the thorny issues of how punchlines are time in Chinese jokes, and a Japanese technique that measures humour via the electrical currents in the diaphragm during a belly laugh.

Another study subjected a group of volunteers to 33 hours of one-liners, and concluded, perhaps unsurprisingly, that sustained exposure to jokes can wear them very thin.

Iiiiiiiiinteresting. From that snippet it appears to be bollocks, but still interesting.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 8 2009, 1:16 PM BST

Researchers found that, among friends, rival joke-tellers often try to outdo each other - leaving those unable to compete feeling mildly depressed

When is Sooty? Unimpressed

Quote: chipolata @ July 8 2009, 1:26 PM BST

When is Sooty? Unimpressed

Is that meant to be a metaphysical question?

Not sure about academics having much to say about comedy and humour. I remember a story about how Ludwig Wittgenstain (Austrian-British philosopher) was planning to write a book about comedy - until he came to the realisation (as he wrote to a friend) that "I have absolutely no sense of humour".

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 8 2009, 1:57 PM BST

Is that meant to be a metaphysical question?

And before Sooty has a go, his was just the first name I plucked from the air!

He's probably somewhere right now experiencing sweating, palpitations, trembling or simply freezing up.

Though not necessarily due to gelotophobia.

What a load of old rubbish.

Pithy.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 8 2009, 2:01 PM BST

He's probably somewhere right now experiencing sweating, palpitations, trembling or simply freezing up.

I get all that just at the thought of talking to strangers.

Quote: chipolata @ July 8 2009, 2:07 PM BST

I get all that just at the thought of talking to strangers.

There aren't any strangers, Chip, just people you haven't molested yet.

Several theories concerning the role of the comedy writer may be found within the characteristic theme of a creative alarm clock - but only if studied facing my maiden aunt; who at this moment in time is in the local supermarket buying two sticky buns and getting one free.

Quote: Joseff @ July 8 2009, 3:45 PM BST

Several theories concerning the role of the comedy writer may be found within the characteristic theme of a creative alarm clock - but only if studied facing my maiden aunt; who at this moment in time is in the local supermarket buying two sticky buns and getting one free.

Are you Morrace? He talked of sticky buns and his aunt too?

Quote: Joseff @ July 8 2009, 3:45 PM BST

Some people who've suffered subtle strokes to certain small regions of the brain start to talk like this. Them and people exhibiting psychoses - the so-called "knights-move thinking".

Quote: chipolata @ July 8 2009, 3:47 PM BST

Are you Morrace? He talked of sticky buns and his aunt too?

No. (who he/she?) On the same token; are you the lady who lives two doors up from me who sweats has palpitations, trembles, then simply freezes up just at the thought of talking to strangers as you do?

Quote: Joseff @ July 8 2009, 4:04 PM BST

No. (who he/she?) On the same token; are you the lady who lives two doors up from me who sweats has palpitations, trembles, then simply freezes up just at the thought of talking to strangers as you do?

Fraid not, but I'd wager you're Morrace just as surely as Sexy Girl is Don Rushmore. Case closed. :)