Scum Page 23

Quote: bigfella @ June 29 2009, 10:42 PM BST

She is in fact my step daughter. My wife is ten years older than me.

The older woman, eh? Cor. I know what that's like. ;)

Quote: bigfella @ June 29 2009, 10:28 PM BST

Most young people are lovely

Maybe. But I'd still cross the street to avoid them.

Quote: sootyj @ June 29 2009, 10:47 PM BST

I did Kibbutz for a year

Just what the heck is that?

Quote: sootyj @ June 29 2009, 10:47 PM BST

3 years is a long time, maybe a year or 2? I know people who did it in other countries gained so much from it. It's kind of a gentle pressure to get out and see life, in a way university or gap years don't. It doesn't have to be harsh or militaristic.

It's also a great leveller between classes and races.

I did Kibbutz for a year and gained so much more from the experience then I did from Uni.

3 years is a very long time. In 3 years I'll have done my degree! And I had my Spanish teacher tell me how his cousin left the country because he was going to have to do military service, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think their policy there also included medical work, for instance. And it's all subjective. What's right for some isn't for others. I'm sure it's very easy for you to sit back and say now that it did you good, but the thought of it is incomprehensible to me. I hate to say "it's my life", but it is! And y'know what? I choose to use it to help others too, so as far as I'm concerned, in a very almost self-preservationist way, I do everything I can by choice to give back, without needing something else to compel me, let alone something else which I really do believe I could only think of fondly a while afterwards.

It's what you feed your dog.

Quote: Aaron @ June 29 2009, 10:49 PM BST

It means sooty is secretly a massive hippy.

Quote: Aaron @ June 29 2009, 10:49 PM BST

The older woman, eh? Cor. I know what that's like. ;)

Yeap

Robyn's right. Kibbutz, or being in the services might be great for you, but it wouldn't be for many others! Many of whom don't need 'helping others' forced upon them in the first place!

(And anyway, I doubt this Kibbutz experience was forced on you, and if it had been, I'm sure it would have been much less effective.)

I'm sure there would be a way of introducing this 'year in service' or whatever as a common practice, but for it to still be voluntary. I expect a lot of people would still take it up if they're the type to need it. As it would be easier than getting a job, etc.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ June 29 2009, 10:52 PM BST

And I had my Spanish teacher tell me how his cousin left the country because he was going to have to do military service

See, like Sooty said, it made him get out and see life...

I look back on Uni as a dismal waste of time, though I suppose, like life, it is what you make of it. Being forced to do something that took me out of my comfort zone would probably have done me a lot more good however.

Quote: zooo @ June 29 2009, 11:04 PM BST

I'm sure there would be a way of introducing this 'year in service' or whatever as a common practice, but for it to still be voluntary. I expect a lot of people would still take it up if they're the type to need it. As it would be easier than getting a job, etc.

That might be an option. Those who complete it get a tax credit to take forward into life.

Back from the cop shop - three hours there!

The CSI team took photographs of the injuries.

Then we worked on the statement - it took forever. Mrs Bigfella was in tears, all very stressful.

So got a takeout for tea - I had a chicken kebab, well a quarter of one.

Quote: bigfella @ June 30 2009, 5:31 PM BST

Back from the cop shop - three hours there!

The CSI team took photographs of the injuries.

Then we worked on the statement - it took forever. Mrs Bigfella was in tears, all very stressful.

So got a takeout for tea - I had a chicken kebab, well a quarter of one.

Let's just hope the CPS decide to prosecute after all this.

Quote: chipolata @ June 30 2009, 5:33 PM BST

Let's just hope the CPS decide to prosecute after all this.

Oh yes. I can't see how they can't, there were so many witnesses

Kebab? Should have had a Chinese.

Quote: Aaron @ June 30 2009, 6:13 PM BST

Kebab? Should have had a Chinese.

Can't do chinese - sweet and sour sauce has evil sugar.

The word "Kebab" in this shop actually means some grilled chicken breast and salad and a pitta ( which I couldn't eat anyway) so it was very healthy.

:(

That's a proper kebab. Nice choice.

Quote: Aaron @ June 30 2009, 6:15 PM BST

:(

That's a proper kebab. Nice choice.

Yeah, but I really wanted a big fat burger and chippies. :( :(

I'll get over it.