Overall Best Cast Page 2

Definitely agree with Blackadder, almost every performance was perfect.

Top prize in my opinion would have to go to the Auf Wiedersehen, Pet lads.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 24 2009, 12:18 PM BST

Booth? She was no great shakes in Fawlty, if anything she was bland and flat.

Booth was very much the "normal" person. All the others were largely extremes, whereas she was the closest to normality. And served a very important purpose in the show.

In a way, Tather Ted was similar in that he was the most normal character in a show full of comic extremes.

Besides KUA, Blackadder's cast was fantastic. Father Ted had a great cast of reoccuring characters. Tom, Father Duff, the boys from Rugged Island, Bishop Len Brennan, the couple trying to kill each other, it always cheered me up to see them. The same could be said for the entire cast of My Name is Earl. That series did the best job of using the secondary characters. I'm gonna miss it so much.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 25 2009, 12:52 PM BST

Jeez, so many wrong people, full of wrongness. :)

Quote: chipolata @ June 25 2009, 12:57 PM BST

Booth was very much the "normal" person. All the others were largely extremes, whereas she was the closest to normality. And served a very important purpose in the show.

In a way, Tather Ted was similar in that he was the most normal character in a show full of comic extremes.

Only he was a great character performed wonderfully. I know the purpose of Polly, it doesn't stop her actual character from being bland and flatly acted. I'm honestly surprised so many people seem to want to disagree, is it just because it's Fawlty Towers and therefore you shouldn't pick at it??

More like they fancied her as a child. And you can't speak badly of childhood crushes, it is wrong.

Quote: chipolata @ June 25 2009, 12:57 PM BST

Like Michael in Arrested Development as well, only Michael is wonderfully performed and a great, funny character in his own right.

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2009, 1:23 PM BST

More like they fancied her as a child. And you can't speak badly of childhood crushes, it is wrong.

Must be something like that, because she certainly isn't a great performer. In Fawlty at least. IMO. Etc.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 25 2009, 1:21 PM BST

I'm honestly surprised so many people seem to want to disagree, is it just because it's Fawlty Towers and therefore you shouldn't pick at it??

The whole 'normal' person in a cast concept is important and widely used, but the whole point of them is that you sympathise/empathise with the character, I felt often that Polly just got in the way of some of the fun. I empathised much more with Basil. I kind of felt he was the normal one surrounded by mentals. I'm not sure Polly was really necessary.

That said, I wouldn't change a thing about the show, as it would risk ruining it, and it's near perfect as it is.

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2009, 1:26 PM BST

I'm not sure Polly was really necessary.

You're just jealous of her Jimmy Cagney impression.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ June 25 2009, 1:45 AM BST

Everyone will probably think I'm insane, but I think the cast of Keeping Up Appearances is fantastic. They just belonged together, especially Daisy and Onslow.

I'll go with the insane vote on that one. As I would with Aaron's Allo' Allo' tripe :P

Blackadder obviously but a little off the wall perhaps The Young Ones.

Haha!
That was rather special.

I like that she wrote the show. You didn't get many famous actress/writers around that time.

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2009, 1:26 PM BST

That said, I wouldn't change a thing about the show, as it would risk ruining it, and it's near perfect as it is.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ June 25 2009, 1:45 AM BST

especially Daisy and Onslow.

Both dead now... Probably... Hopefully...

I agree that a lot of the great British comedies that have already been mentioned had superb casts. Open All Hours, The Good Life and Yes Minister could all be included as well.

From the non-classic shows, I would nominate Whoops Apocalypse and The Thin Blue Line as having excellent casts. The former certainly boasted an incredible array of talent including Cleese, Palmer, Barron, Sayle, Mayall, Griffiths etc.