Danny La Rue dies at 81

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8077329.stm

RIP.

He agressively tried to shag a gay friend of mine. Actually he was a pain in the arse and a fellow student, so I was quite pleased.

Thanks Mr Grayson where ever you are.

Was he gay?

RIP by the way.

Quote: sootyj @ June 1 2009, 3:01 PM BST

Actually he was a pain in the arse and I was quite pleased.

That's the whole point isn't it?

Without Danny The Road where would Eddie Izzard be?

Shit Danny - you've got a lot to answer for!

RIP Danny La Rue, total legend IMO

Quote: Chappers @ June 1 2009, 7:17 PM BST

Without Danny The Road where would Eddie Izzard be?

Not sure they're the same. Danny was a female impersonator whereas Eddie is a tit who ocassionally wears a dress and talks incessantly about ocassionally wearing a dress.

Oh, and RIP Danny. My nan loved you.

If anything, Danny influenced Paul O'Grady possibly. Ronnie Corbett worked with Danny a lot early in his career I think.

Very interesting reading the obituaries of him. For some reason, I'd really only thought of him as the original drag queen - I can't stand drag queens - but he was obviously far more than that. RIP.

My mum took me to see him at Great Yarmouth once when I was a kid. What was she thinking.
In fact a work-colleague lived near him and said he would go strutting into the hairdressers every week strutting around like Norma Desmond but no-one knew who he was.

Quote: youngian @ July 31 2009, 3:30 PM BST

My mum took me to see him at Great Yarmouth once when I was a kid. What was she thinking.

That you were camp as Christmas as a kid? :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 31 2009, 3:31 PM BST

That you were camp as Christmas as a kid? :)

No, just a family with bad taste- it was preferable to night of live Wurlitzer music which my dad inflicted on me as child.

Quote: youngian @ July 31 2009, 4:08 PM BST

it was preferable to night of live Wurlitzer music which my dad infliced on me as child.

Did you grow up in a Dennis Potter play? You poor boy! Teary

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 31 2009, 4:18 PM BST

Did you grow up in a Dennis Potter play? You poor boy! Teary

:D

But without the sex. Although I did have bad eczma

Quote: youngian @ July 31 2009, 3:30 PM BST

In fact a work-colleague lived near him and said he would go strutting into the hairdressers every week strutting around like Norma Desmond but no-one knew who he was.

Who's Norma Desmond?

Quote: Chappers @ July 31 2009, 9:40 PM BST

Who's Norma Desmond?

The fading movie star played by Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard.

I recall Dave Allen doing a routine, about how as a youth he had found the sight of her sagging flesh as she made advances to the young William Holden quite repulsive, but, with his own advancing old age, he found himself becoming aroused by those same scenes... So Dave, check it out of Blockbusters and arm yourself with a box of tissues.