Make 'Em Laugh on BBC Four

Thought this might be of interest. Starting on BBC Four tonight at 11.30pm. A six-part series chronicling 100 years of American comedy. Here's the bumf:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kmt5h

I say, this looks jolly interesting... Whistling nnocently

It does look quite interesting. Hopefully it'll have some bite and won't just be hagiography about the comedians covered... Oh, and Judd Apatow? Not sure he's that momentous a character in American comedy just yet.

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 3:25 PM BST

It does look quite interesting. Hopefully it'll have some bite and won't just be hagiography about the comedians covered... Oh, and Judd Apatow? Not sure he's that momentous a character in American comedy just yet.

I am quite partial to a bit of Judd Apatow, I must say. Shameful bastard that I am. Don't know about the haggis-ography though.

Apatow's very likeable, and I enjoyed his early films. But I can't help but feel he's established a formula that will bring gradually diminishing returns.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 19 2009, 3:20 PM BST

I say, this looks jolly interesting... Whistling nnocently

Did you reply to yourself ?

Eh?

This looks like it's gonna be a really great show, very comprehensive. I'm Sky+ing it but have just watched a bit and have seen nice Woody Allen footage plus Jason Alexander and Cheech Marin commenting. Looks like Mike McKean and George Carlin are in the mix too, this looks very, very exciting.

Watched it. No insight whatsoever, a banal clips package with zero depth and sychophantic commentary.

You'd expect to see this kind of thing on E! not Beeb Four.

Shame because it could have been really good.

I didnt think it was that bad personally

I enjoyed it also, I guess it was mainly clips but looking at future episodes I think it's gonna give some good insights and let's face it, give us footage that we may not have got over here before which on its own can't be a bad thing. Over six weeks this should hopefully have some good breadth. There's a lot to celebrate in U.S comedy and I can put up with a bit of sycophancy if it allows me to see interviews with many of my comedy heroes whom, I repeat, we don't get to see in this light over here often. I'd give this time.

Part two of this tonight. Here's the juice:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kq4lv

Howdy. Don't know how many of you have been watching this, but it's a rather enjoyable programme. Tonight's is on slapstick, and promises to feature Laurel and Hardy and the Three Stooges. Here's the gravy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kv0d2

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 2 2009, 11:34 AM BST

Howdy. Don't know how many of you have been watching this

Yes you do. Unimpressed

Quote: chipolata @ June 3 2009, 9:59 AM BST

Yes you do. Unimpressed

Is the answer...me?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 3 2009, 10:13 AM BST

Is the answer...me?

No, no, not at all, I'm sure BBC Four controller Richard Klein also wa... ah, f**k it. Yes, just you!