Biggest career downfall Page 3

Does Woody Allen actually look any different now from when he was 40?

On this whole downfall subject, what are we suggesting the criteria is for a decent, permanently successful career, producing consistently acceptable work? I can't imagine there is such a thing.

I mean, I'm no fan of the contemporary Ben Elton output, but I'll always appreciate the great work he did, of which there is plenty. It's such a boring, predictable attitude to slag him off for his current work, that presumably isn't aimed at the same audience as his earlier work.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 7 2009, 2:15 PM BST

It's such a boring, predictable attitude to slag him off for his current work, that presumably .

It is shit though, no matter what audience he's aiming for. It's only predictable because so many people agree.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 7 2009, 2:15 PM BST

On this whole downfall subject, what are we suggesting the criteria is for a decent, permanently successful career, producing consistently acceptable work? I can't imagine there is such a thing.

I mean, I'm no fan of the contemporary Ben Elton output, but I'll always appreciate the great work he did, of which there is plenty. It's such a boring, predictable attitude to slag him off for his current work, that presumably isn't aimed at the same audience as his earlier work.

I said something like this in an excellent thread I created somewhere else on this board several years ago. If I get really bored later I'll dig it out.

Quote: Griff @ May 7 2009, 2:28 PM BST

You could always read a Ben Elton novel. That should do the trick.

Yes indeed!

Quote: Griff @ May 7 2009, 2:28 PM BST

You could always read a Ben Elton novel. That should do the trick.

I read Stark. :O Although Popcorn wasn't bad.

Quote: chipolata @ May 7 2009, 2:24 PM BST

I said something like this in an excellent thread I created somewhere else on this board several years ago. If I get really bored later I'll dig it out.

Go on, get it out for the lads.

I read... the one set in the Big Brother house.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 7 2009, 2:30 PM BST

Go on, get it out for the lads.

I looked, but couldn't find it. :(

So I dug a classic one about punchable comedy stars instead.

Quote: zooo @ May 7 2009, 2:39 PM BST

I read... the one set in the Big Brother house.

Apparently it's being cancelled. Big Brother, that is.

Booo.

Quote: chipolata @ May 7 2009, 2:41 PM BST

Apparently it's being cancelled. Big Brother, that is.

Reeeeeally?

Well, they do say that every year.
But it's got to be true sometime I guess.

Quote: Aaron @ May 7 2009, 3:00 PM BST

Reeeeeally?

I very much doubt it. You'll have to pump Chip for his source. If you'll pardon the expression.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 7 2009, 3:02 PM BST

You'll have to pump Chip for his source.

How I live for that day. :$

(The source is Davina McCall in an interview. This series could be the last, although if it's popular I can't see them ditching it).

Quote: chipolata @ May 7 2009, 3:04 PM BST

How I live for that day. :$

(The source is Davina McCall in an interview. This series could be the last, although if it's popular I can't see them ditching it).

There's no real point in BB being cancelled now. The damage has been done. It's not as if they'd fill the gap with anything decent is it?