John Cleese on TV comedy today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/may/06/television-john-cleese

Quite an interesting article.

I threw a little paddy and deleted this post.

I love how he whinges because he knows he's entitled to it being one of our comedy gods. He's 100% spot on in the article.

This is very interesting. Not sure what exactly to make of it:

"Now and again I see something. The Office I thought was terrific, although I only saw about three of them. I saw one Extras, which was excellent."

If he really thought that they were that "terrific" and "excellent", then why has he not seen the rest? It's not like he's short of a few bob and still saving for the DVDs, is it?

He makes some good points but I get so bored of this TV snobbery. No, we're no longer in a golden age of television comedy, but there's good stuff about now. And the good stuff today is just as good as the good stuff of yesteryear. And if Cleese cared that much about television comedy, he'd write something new.

There was an awful lot of dross on TV in the 1970s too. I remember...

Yeah there was crap on in the 1970s but nowhere near as much as there is now.

Quote: Mike Dan-Carter @ May 7 2009, 1:09 PM BST

Yeah there was crap on in the 1970s but nowhere near as much as there is now.

There was no where near as much telly then as there is now either.

Haha, very good point!

Have to say, I tend to prefer 1970s crap shows over modern crap shows. Tends to be a friendlier feel to them, I find.

Quote: Aaron @ May 7 2009, 1:19 PM BST

Haha, very good point!

Have to say, I tend to prefer 1970s crap shows over modern crap shows. Tends to be a friendlier feel to them, I find.

Totally agree with you.

Also, nice to see Connie Booth pictured for the first time since '02.

Quote: Aaron @ May 7 2009, 1:19 PM BST

Haha, very good point!

Yes, but crap is crap. Enjoying older crap for the regressive comfort it affords doesn't make it any the less crap.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 7 2009, 1:52 PM BST

Yes, but crap is crap. Enjoying older crap for the regressive comfort it affords doesn't make it any the less crap.

Not in itself, no. But comparitive to something that one finds to be even more crap... Yeah. Anyway.

Quote: Aaron @ May 7 2009, 1:01 PM BST

This is very interesting. Not sure what exactly to make of it:

"Now and again I see something. The Office I thought was terrific, although I only saw about three of them. I saw one Extras, which was excellent."

If he really thought that they were that "terrific" and "excellent", then why has he not seen the rest? It's not like he's short of a few bob and still saving for the DVDs, is it?

I'd wager my anal virginity that the episodes of The Office he saw included the pub quiz with Brent's uncool team named 'the Dead Parrots', and the one where Brent does the Basil Fawlty walk. Probably someone told him to watch those episodes.

"Someone from the past says things were better back then"

This really is a non-story, isn't it?

The story was the reunion of the Fawlty Towers cast.

EDIT: Oops, it was Cleese criticizes TV broadcasters for not investing enough in writing talent. My mistake.