Beyond A Joke

Quote: Griff @ May 4 2009, 5:07 PM BST

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/beyond_a_joke/

Starts tonight!

As advertised here on a useful website: www.comedy.co.uk

(Hello Griff Wave)

Researchers for the show actually contacted us last year about this. Unfortunately - and this makes me very excited about the finished show - they were going far deeper and into far more detail than we could really help them out with at that stage. I really, really can't wait to see it.

21:00 on ITV3. Don't forget!

I too will be watching, but the sad thing is it clashes with Ashes to Ashes.

Starting now! *sits back to watch*

I thought it was really good. Also a bit lost as to some of the talking heads there, but they only seemed to pop up a couple of times each. Don't think there was anything I didn't already know, but some great clips and anecdotes.

It's very interesting to watch the episode(s?) with that character in. Very clear roots to the Basil we know and love, but a different dynamic in the situation so there are some (positive and negative) differences.

It is a classic episode of Doctor at Large, but the thing about it was Timothy Bateson didn't steal that episode, it was Roy Kinnear as the joke teller, whereas John Cleese it has to be said did steal every episode of Fawlty Towers.
It is also worth noting that Cleese made a mistake last night when he spoke about the episode 'No Ill Feeling' saying that the situation was that Michael Upton was in a health farm. This is untrue, he was in a hotel. He wrote another episode of Doctor At Large titled Mr Moon which was about a health farm. Playing Mr Moon was comedy legend John Le Mesurier.

It was quite an interesting documentary and diverting enough. I'm not sure I learnt that much though and wonder whether maybe focussing more on a smaller number of shows might have been better. Or perhaps they could have included a few more obscure programmes. Perhaps I am just being picky though.

There was a sitcom on it I'd never heard of, the one about the upper-class family. The hunting dogs they owned got on a bus in the clip shown last night.

Quote: Jack Massey @ May 5 2009, 9:57 AM BST

It is also worth noting that Cleese made a mistake last night when he spoke about the episode 'No Ill Feeling' saying that the situation was that Michael Upton was in a health farm. This is untrue, he was in a hotel. He wrote another episode of Doctor At Large titled Mr Moon which was about a health farm. Playing Mr Moon was comedy legend John Le Mesurier.

Yes, I noticed that too. Had forgotten about the health farm episode though.

Episode 2 tonight, will be tuning in.

Another good episode tonight, I enjoyed it. Not sure I'd have Stan and Jack arrested though Jo Brand.

It's not bad for an ITV3 show, but still has lots of that annoying reiteration that seems to simply serve as padding.

Jo Brand was wrong though about Jack and Stan - They should have been shot.

PS - Can anybody identify the music with the end title credits. It's driving me mad.

:D

It's all on Political Correctness or the lack of it tonight. Should be interesting. We'll see Alf Garnett and Eddie Booth no doubt.

Great to see Terry and June get a pasting, shame though they didn't cover my theory that they were serial killers.