Clement Freud R.I.P. Page 2

At 12 noon tomorrow I shall talk with no hesitation or deviation for just a minute. It's what he would have wanted.

Teary

Just a little bit on the subject of 'boats at bath time':

Nicholas Parsons: Yes I'm afraid you were so that I would consider deviation, and there are 25 seconds for Derek to take back the subject starting now.

Derek Nimmo: I used to regularly have baths with a girl called Barbara Fowler. And we had a rubber submarine and...

BUZZ

NP: Clement Freud has challenged.

CF: Ah repetition of rubber.

Kenneth Williams: And deviation, I mean this is supposed to be a family show! Disgraceful, talking about getting in the bath with girls!

NP: He was probably going to tell us that the girl in question was only five, and he was four, or something.

KW: They always do, yes!

NP: So Clement, a correct challenge, 19 seconds for you on boats for bath time starting now.

CF: Submarines are best, because they come down and can look at you sub-aquatically as it were, which is much...

BUZZ

NP: Derek Nimmo challenged.

DN: Submarines by definition can't come down, they have to come up. They can't come...

CF: Do you think they're built below the surface?

LAUGHTER FROM DN AND THE AUDIENCE

KW: Well of course they can. If you were on the bottom of the ocean, and it came down to rescue you, you'd say it's come down, wouldn't you and met you on the bed...

DN: There wouldn't be much room for a submarine to come down in a bath with Clement Freud in it!

LOUD LAUGHTER FROM KW AND THE AUDIENCE

KW: No! Yes if he was in it there wouldn't be much room at all! (laughs)

NP: So Clement keeps the subject and there are 11 seconds starting now.

CF: Compared to a wind-up Pluto who does the backstroke, boats at bath time are really not much fun. Because the Walt Disney inspired toy races around the water...

WHISTLE

NP: Clement Freud speaking as the whistle went has moved forward. Derek Nimmo is still in the lead, then Kenneth Williams and Graeme Garden. And Clement begins the next round and the subject is atlas. Will you tell us something about that subject in the game starting now.

CF: There was, in my youth, one Charles Atlas, who advertised "have a body like mine" and you sent up, and got it in a plain brown envelope. There are also the Atlas Mountains which I seem to remember occur in the north of Africa, and there's a fly flying around my nose at the moment which is most off-putting...

BUZZ

NP: Ah...

DN: I think he's swallowed a fly, has he?

NP: He certainly paused. And the subject is atlas, Derek there are 37 seconds left starting now.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ April 16 2009, 8:49 AM BST

Quite often forgotten that he was a forerunner to Jamie, Delia, Gordon et al.

Why are you giving us a reason to celebrate his death?

He also appeared a couple of times on the 1970s ITV impression show Who Do You Do.

He would walk on and in his deadpan style say here's an impression. Then rattle the change in his pocket and say that was Sheik Yamani.

There were others but I can't remember them.

What with all the cooking and dour comedy, it's easy to forget he was the father of modern Psychoanalysis.

Thats because he wasn't... oh.