Happy Easter! Page 2

Quote: zooo @ April 9 2009, 3:43 PM BST

I'd say Easter Bunnies and Tooth Fairies are about on the same level of believability as God.

Like Father Christmas?

Quote: zooo @ April 9 2009, 3:43 PM BST

That is quite a funny poster though. :)

?

Oh the church thing.

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2009, 3:49 PM BST

Like Father Christmas?

Noooooooooooooooooooooo.
He might be real.
(he is.)

Quote: Darren Pomroy @ April 9 2009, 3:21 PM BST

Happy Easter, my Muslim boss is letting me out at 4:00 as well so he can go home and celebrate with his family, is that weird?

It's a bit weird, but not totally. Jesus is considered a prophet in Islam, second only to Muhammed, and known as Isa. Mary, his mother, is one of the few women named in the Qu'ran and the Virgin Birth of Jesus is part of Islamic dogma.

The Crucifixion, Resurrection and Christ's divinity, however, are considered heretical by Muslims. Which is why I say it's a bit weird.

Dogma? Quite judgemental there Graham. Not very nice of you.

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2009, 8:31 PM BST

You actually made me go and check what the exact definition of dogma is, to see if it was a nasty thing to say:

'Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from.'

So using the term actually seems fair enough if that's the definition!

I just bought and ate a whole egg, right after a curry, and now feel both sleepy and a bit sick.

My karma just ran over your dogma.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 9 2009, 8:44 PM BST

You actually made me go and check what the exact definition of dogma is, to see if it was a nasty thing to say:

'Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from.'

So using the term actually seems fair enough if that's the definition!

The definitions I found include (and were all along the lines of): "a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof".

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2009, 8:55 PM BST

"a religious doctrine that is proclaimed as true without proof".

I wonder if the proof for half the stuff in these holy books would actually stand up in court of law? Is there enough proof? Does someone scribbling down stories thousands of years ago, which are then built upon and embelished, really count as concrete proof? I dunno. I'd say a lot of religious teachings are proclaimed as true without any real proof. I mean, that's what the whole blind faith things about, isn't it?

I'm not saying a lot of the stoires have no basis in truth by the way, I'm sure most grew out of a grain of actual truth.

I agree. (With your post/point.)

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2009, 9:00 PM BST

I agree. (With your post/point.)

I'm sure that's the third or fourth time you've said that to me in the last couple of days. Something isn't right here! :D

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ April 9 2009, 3:16 PM BST

I miss Ruby when threads like this pop up. :( I've got an egg (now 1/4 of an egg) from my Biology teacher for taking part in some stupid thing for him, and a gold bunny from my dad.

That's the dodgiest thing I read all day.

Laughing out loud I still manage to do it unwittingly!

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2009, 8:31 PM BST

I'm a theology graduate. My words are carefully chosen.

Bumface.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 9 2009, 11:01 PM BST

I'm a graduate.

:O

My mum still buys me an Easter egg and I'm 29 lol.