Lennie Bennett

He used to be on the telly. Now he's dead.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/EXCLUSIVE-TV-star-Lennie-Bennett.5159468.jp

Oh, cruel fate! Why must you claim my childhood heroes?

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 9 2009, 2:57 PM BST

He used to be on the telly. Now he's dead.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/EXCLUSIVE-TV-star-Lennie-Bennett.5159468.jp

Sad. I liked him. He was likeable.

Had a fantastic perm.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 9 2009, 3:00 PM BST

Had a fantastic perm.

Is that his epitaph?

Quote: chipolata @ April 9 2009, 3:02 PM BST

Is that his epitaph?

Might as well be. I only remember him as one of the faces on Celebrity Squares and as a game show host. Don't think I ever heard him tell a joke.

That was a rum do, wasn't it? The use of comedians as game show hosts in the 70s and 80s. They might have got one gag in the intro, but after that they were bland as Nicholas Parsons on Sale Of The Century. I blame Monkhouse.

He was in a double act wasn't he ?
Lennie Bennett & Jerry Stevens.

The very man.

Roy Walker. He's another one. I watched the first Catchphrase thinking, "Oh, this'll be good. He's funny, him." Might as well have been Tony Bastable.

Awww I loved Celebrity Squares when I was little.

RIP.

I don't mean to be disrespectful here as I liked Lennie too but there is a sketch waiting to be written. You can almost see his agent calling ITV trying to get Lucky Ladders or Celebrity Squares recommissioned because he now has a raised public profile. A bit tasteless I know.

Anyway, RIP Lennie. You were someone that reminded me of my childhood so for that reason I have fond memories.

Prior to the gane show bit, Lennie Bennett was a superb stand up, and could cream hecklers with ease, Respect, The lennie

SMOS

I read somewhere he heckled Keith Allen when he was appearing at the Comedy Store omce

Quote: Tuumble @ April 9 2009, 3:22 PM BST

You can almost see his agent calling ITV trying to get Lucky Ladders or Celebrity Squares recommissioned because he now has a raised public profile. A bit tasteless I know.

He used to host a show quite similar to celebrity squares called 'Punchlines'
I remember Kenny Everett doing a sketch where he his the host of the show and every guest on the grid is Lenny Bennett, then Kenny pushes a detonator & blows the whole thing up.