BOUNCERS

Hi all. I've spent the last 4 weeks reading everything that's been posted on this critique and can honestly say what a talented bunch you all are.
This is something I've been working on for a while. Don't know if it would work as a sitcom or as recurring sketches. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

SCENE 1. EXT. NIGHTCLUB – NIGHT

MAX AND CLIVE ARE BOUNCERS STANDING AT THE DOOR OF A
NIGHTCLUB. BOTH ARE IN THEIR MID THIRTIES, HEAVILY BUILT AND
WEARING BLACK SUITS. THERE IS A QUEUE OF PEOPLE WAITING TO
GET IN. MAX AND CLIVE ARE IN NO HURRY TO LET ANYONE IN.
VIOLET APPEARS BEHIND THEM. VIOLET IS ALSO HEAVILY BUILT
AND IN HER THIRTIES. SHE WEARS THE SAME SUIT AS MAX AND
CLIVE.

MAX:
Watcha Vi. You’re a bit late aintcha?

VIOLET:
Yeah. It was mine ‘n’ George’s anniversary weren’t it.

MAX:
That’s right. Eight years to the day that you first put him in hospital.

VIOLET:
Yeah. Well since the kids are only allowed out at weekends now we fot we’ve try and be a bit more adventurous in the bedroom.

MAX:
Oh yeah… Wot did you get up to then?

VIOLET:
Well I fot we’d try a bit of that S ‘n’ M.

CLIVE:
Wot. That new Marks’s up the precinct?

MAX:
You’re a right wally Clive. Aintcha.

CLIVE:
Wot?

MAX:
That’s a Selfridges aint it?

VIOLET:
No. I’m talking about tying up and fings. That sort of S ‘n’ M. I got George to read it out of one of those magazines our Kevin keeps under his bed.

CLIVE GIGGLES SILENTLY. HIS SHOULDERS HEAVING

VIOLET:
Wots up wif him?

MAX:
He’s got one of them magazines under my bed as well.

VIOLET:
But I fot he couldn’t read.

MAX:
He can’t… he just look at the pictures. Anyway Vi, I bet George enjoyed himself eh?

VIOLET:
I dunno. He passed out after three hours.

MAX:
Well you aint missed much ‘ere. Eh Clive?

CLIVE:
Wot?

A SOBER YOUNG MAN TRIES TO ENTER. MAX STOPS HIM

MAX:
Too drunk mate.

THE YOUNG MAN SHAKES HIS HEAD, AND WALKS AWAY.

MAX:
(SHOUTING AFTER YOUNG MAN)
Come back when you can stand up straight.

MR CHAMBERS APPEARS FROM BEHIND THEM. HE IS A YOUNG MAN. SMARTLY DRESSED. BUSINESS-LIKE.

MR. CHAMBERS:
Well boys.. and Violet. What’s going on?

MAX:
Nuffin. No trouble so far Mr. Chambers.

MR.CHAMBERS:
No. What I meant was why is the place empty and there’s all these people out here waiting to get in?

MAX:
But it’s only ten past eleven Mr Chambers.

MR CHAMBERS:
I know, so what?

MAX:
Tell ‘im Vi.

VIOLET:
(TALKS AS IF TALKING TO A CHILD)
If we let them in before twelve. All drinks are a quid.

MR CHAMBERS:
That’s the point. We want them in early to stop them going anywhere else.

MAX:
I don’t fink you understand Mr Chambers.
(DELIBERATLY) YOU WILL GO BUST.

MR CHAMBERS:
I don’t think you understand. If no-one comes in I will go bust. Now I am the proprietor of this nightclub. What I say goes and I am telling you to let them in. Now.

MAX:
Alright Mr Chambers anyfing you say.

MR CHAMBERS RE-ENTERS THE NIGHTCLUB

CLIVE:
(TO OTHERS) Wots proprietor mean?

I am no expert, however I thought it was well presented and flowed nicely. There wasn't a great deal of punchlines in there a few quick one liners would build on what you have got.
Violet - I dunno he passed out after 3 hours maybe add "I guess I don't know my own strength" making us think the poor sod was getting another kind of whacking for 3 hours. Just an idea I'm only trying to help you Roland.
Well done for posting it.

Thanks for the feedback Daddy. I can see what you mean about the lack of punchline. It was just an experiment to see if I can get their characters across. I also wanted to make sure I had the layout correct and it was read easily.

it was easy to read although I'm not sure about putting in the speech things like "fink" etc my script guru gave me a roasting when I did it. I thought it was easier to read like this but you know thought I'd pass on what I'd been told

just a quickie, but Phoenix Nights, which is a similar premise, had Peter Kay play a bouncer called Max . Whilst they, of course, don't have exclusivity on bouncers called Max, I'd change your character's name all the same.

I agree with Nick. Although it was nicely written, Max and Paddy and Phoenix Nights covered this ground, so it'd be very difficult to get it commissioned or made into a pilot. That said, you could always try transposing the characters to another line of work, and still keep the same dynamic.

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree it is too much like Max and Paddy, but I like chipolatas idea about moving them into another line of work will try that.