Greatest episode of Steptoe and Son

Steptoe And Son. Image shows from L to R: Harold Steptoe (Harry H. Corbett), Albert Steptoe (Wilfrid Brambell). Copyright: BBC.

Steptoe And Son

Albert Steptoe and his son Harold run a rag and bone business. Harold wants to move on in the world and leave home but his plans are always thwarted

Vorny

• Tuesday 9th December 2008, 5:48pm [Edited]
  • At the Moment Farnborough in England, Wales
  • 14 posts

If you had to choose one episode of Steptoe And Son to survive armageddon which one would it be?

My choice would have to be Divided We Stand.

"I have the knobs on my side"

Aaron

• Tuesday 9th December 2008, 6:00pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,693 posts

Agreed. Superb episode.

Tursiops

• Tuesday 9th December 2008, 6:30pm
  • Welwyn Garden City, England
  • 9,788 posts

Surely The Desperate Hours.

john lucas 101

• Tuesday 9th December 2008, 6:33pm
  • England
  • 7,098 posts

I'll have to be boring and agree with the first two. Although the second ever episode 'The Bird' has such a classic ending and really sums up the series.

Jack Massey

• Wednesday 10th December 2008, 1:24am
  • England
  • 2,965 posts

Divided we Stand is my second favourite episode of Steptoe. The classic line in that episode was 'Even the bleedin' firemen had to put pennies in'
But my favourite episode is the classic 'Pilgrim's Progress' Series 4 episode 7, where Harold takes his Dad to see the trenches at France, but they get deported after Albert starts a fight on the plane. An absolute classic episode.

Ned1984

• Wednesday 10th December 2008, 1:52am
  • Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • 1,171 posts
Quote: Timbo @ December 9 2008, 1:30 PM GMT

Surely The Desperate Hours.

A classic. :D

Greg

• Wednesday 10th December 2008, 7:02pm
  • Peterborough, England
  • 141 posts

I love the Christmas special when they both end up getting chicken pox.

whatkindoffoolami

• Monday 19th November 2012, 5:43pm [Edited]
  • Hull, England
  • 167 posts

Great choices so far.
For me it's a really tough choice, but at a push I'll opt for Sunday For Seven Days.

But some other great episodes:
Sixty-Five Today
Full House
Pilgrim's Progress
Without Prejudice
Oh What A Beautiful Mourning
Divided We Stand
The Desperate Hours
Upstairs Downstairs, Upstairs Downstairs

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 10 2008, 1:24 AM GMT

Divided we Stand is my second favourite episode of Steptoe. The classic line in that episode was 'Even the bleedin' firemen had to put pennies in'
But my favourite episode is the classic 'Pilgrim's Progress' Series 4 episode 7, where Harold takes his Dad to see the trenches at France, but they get deported after Albert starts a fight on the plane. An absolute classic episode.

i think the scene on the plane is my joint favourite scene ever in steptoe along with the scene in the cinema in sunday for seven days.

"i bet it was you that got at maude elliott" "she was a tram conductor out of the putney garage"

"here you are late again"

Pingl

• Monday 19th November 2012, 5:47pm
  • England
  • 4,818 posts

The Seven Steptoerai, made me laugh when I first saw it as a kid, still makes me laugh now.

lofthouse

• Thursday 29th November 2012, 9:33pm [Edited]
  • Nowhere, England
  • 9,727 posts

Divided We Stand for me too.

Simple idea brilliantly done.

Greg

• Thursday 29th November 2012, 10:22pm
  • Peterborough, England
  • 141 posts

Divided We Stand is a great episode and it was directed by the late, great David Croft - says it all!

Wwe222 333

• Thursday 29th November 2012, 10:24pm [Edited]
  • Blackpool, England
  • 173 posts

The one where they look at the holiday booklets and Albert is banned from the countries.

raresaturn

• Thursday 13th December 2012, 12:08am
  • Australia
  • 3 posts

I have not seen any Steptoe & Son, and out of curiosity I started watching the first episode on YouTube. I only got about 10mins in before turning it off. It just did not seem at all funny, and was more of a drama than a comedy it seems. Both characters seemed quite nasty. Is this representative of the whole show? Should I try some of the episodes mentioned in this thread?

Aaron

• Thursday 13th December 2012, 12:10am [Edited]
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,693 posts

It's not an average sitcom. Very layered, complex and - yes - dramatic. Some episodes are out-and-out comedy whilst others are much weightier on the drama, but once you've got to know the characters from the beginning, it's a sheer delight.

I'd say to go for Divided We Stand, except that's by far the best single episode so it'll only be downhill afterward and you don't want that.

happychef

• Thursday 13th December 2012, 9:38am [Edited]
  • England
  • 124 posts

Don't think I could name one episode so it's between Oh, What A Beautiful Mourning, The Desperate Hours, and the second of the Christmas specials. Not knocking the brilliance of Divided We Stand but wasn't the whole premise lifted from an old episode of I Love Lucy?