I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,659

It's only fair that if the Scots vote to stay in the Union, then the rest of the UK gets to vote on whether to kick them out.

I can't help but think that each time George Osborne opens his gob the dissolution of the Unions comes a bit closer.

Ali D spoke to me once but it was only seven words.

I had just had my lunch in a basement and as the lift was playing up, I kept my finger on the button to ensure it arrived more promptly.

This I did leaning in to it diagonally with legs astride so anyone else arriving would immediately know that the lift wasn't working properly.

Unfortunately I was still in that position when the doors flew open. There was just one person inside it and incredibly that person was him.

Characteristically there was no emotion on his face in that moment before I scarpered. But I vividly recall the words he found to manage what was still evident irritation. "I really didn't want to be here" he said.

Quote: zooo @ 7th September 2014, 3:03 PM BST

They'd better not. Our flag will be so boring without the blue bit.

They should put a Welsh dragon on it.

I don't really understand betting but I think this means that all bookies think there will be a no vote.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome

IT looks pretty much from that they don't want independence.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 8th September 2014, 3:21 PM BST

I don't really understand betting but I think this means that all bookies think there will be a no vote.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome

You don't OR. They always want to favourite to win.

Huh?

If something is a 'favourite' it means that's the thing that most people have backed with the bookies

So surely they'd prefer a thing to win that not as many punters will have backed - ie an outsider at bigger odds ?

I think

It's just I used to back horses a lot and the comment was always made that the bookies will be celebrating as the favourite got beat

What the f**k?

In a two bedroom flat with a four year old?

Mother should be charged with manslaughter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-29109652

Quote: lofthouse @ 8th September 2014, 7:12 PM BST

Huh?

If something is a 'favourite' it means that's the thing that most people have backed with the bookies

So surely they'd prefer a thing to win that not as many punters will have backed - ie an outsider at bigger odds ?

I think

It's just I used to back horses a lot and the comment was always made that the bookies will be celebrating as the favourite got beat

Maybe you just don't understand betting odds, Lofthouse.

People bet on the favourite it can only give a little bit of money to a "medium sized" number of people. Although the favourite is the most popular horse there are plenty of other horses which the punters have backed to make enough money.
An outsider (on an accumulator for instance?) coming in would give a huge amount of money to a small number of people.

You have to budget for what would usually happen.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th September 2014, 12:25 AM BST

Maybe you just don't understand betting odds, Lofthouse.

People bet on the favourite it can only give a little bit of money to a "medium sized" number of people. Although the favourite is the most popular horse there are plenty of other horses which the punters have backed to make enough money.
An outsider (on an accumulator for instance?) coming in would give a huge amount of money to a small number of people.

You have to budget for what would usually happen.

See? Told you I didn't understand betting.

Does 15/4 mean that if I bet £4 and I win, I get £15?

(yes, I'm that naive)

15/4 means you will get f**k all so don't bother

Quote: Oldrocker @ 9th September 2014, 12:53 AM BST

See? Told you I didn't understand betting.

Does 15/4 mean that if I bet £4 and I win, I get £15?

(yes, I'm that naive)

Yes.

For Independence..
7/4
Against Independence..
2/5

So, Paddy Power thinks it's a NO vote?

Errr

Correct

New pole tonight backs that up also

New Survation Poll
NO 53% YES 47%