HACKS IN BLOODBATH HORROR!

Hi, I'm developing sketches based around two slightly psychotic tabloid journalists who speak entirely in tabloid headlines. Please tell me what you think. Thanks.

EXT: DAY. A MALE AND A FEMALE TABLOID JOURNALIST ARE ENTERING A BURGER BAR DRIVE THRU.

Assistant:
So, 2 Big Greedy meals with coffee. You wanna go Ballistic on those?

Male journalist:
I’m alright Jack

SHE HANDS THE JOURNALISTS THEIR MEALS.

Female journalist:
Double whammy!

THEY LOOK INSIDE THEIR BAGS.

Male journalist:
Uh oh – Shame of uk’s fave burger chain!

HE SHOWS HIS MEAL TO THE FEMALE JOURNALIST.

Female journalist:
So sick! Now they put love juice in burgers!

Assistant:
It’s mayonnaise, love.

MALE JOURNALIST LOOKS AT THE ASSISTANT’S NAME BADGE.

Male journalist:
Curvy blonde Elishia shows her spunk!

Assistant:
That comment is flawed on biological grounds.

Female journalist:
Burger boffin is top of the class!

HE TAKES A PLASTIC KNIFE AND FORK AND SCRATCHES HER ARM. AT THE SAME TIME, HE SQUIRTS A LOAD OF KETCHUP ONTO THE SAME AREA.

Male journalist:
Grief after attack of ‘my lovely girl’.

Assistant:
Aaaargh! You’ve cut me, you mad bastard!

Female journalist:
She asked for it!

SHE SLAPS THE GIRL’S FACE AND SQUITS A LOT MORE KETCHUP. THE GIRL FALLS OVER THE COUNTER, BELIEVING THAT HER FACE HAS BEEN SLASHED.

Male journalist:
Bloodbath at burger bar!

THEY DRIVE OFF.

Female journalist:
Murder journos in 130mph getaway.

THE ASSISTANT DABS THE ‘BLOOD’ WITH HER FINGER AND LICKS IT.

Assistant:
Local sexpot in Ketchup stitch up…..

CUT

I love the escalating madness of it! I've a lot of time for stuff like that, and I could see it working very well as a recurring sketch as you suggest. Great work :)

Cheers Scott. Next, a fumbling sexual encounter, to fit in with the theme of my podcasts. How are yours going?

I like it! really speaks to me having had to study all of this jargon at school in english for so many years...
Another success in sitcom scandal!

The originality of the idea immediately, and not for the first time with your work, put me in mind of The Two Ronnies. This was a very easy to read sketch and although it wasn't laugh-out-loud stuff it was, nevertheless, constantly funny throughout - which was nice.

I like the premise, got legs. Also a great vehicle for some Sun style headlines. my favourite was when Inverness Caley beat Celtic in a cup match

Super Cally Go Ballistic, Celtic are Atriocious.

Heh, heh!

Thanks for the feedback. Other scenarios that I think I could develop these characters with are: A football match between an English schoolboy team and German one (throughout which WW2 is invoked relentlessly), a sexual misadventure, encounters with various immigrants in several situations and mistaking a professional female for a page 3 stunna.

Any more ideas?

Fred, you could perhaps include an occasional broadsheet character and pepper their conversations with long-winded and far more formal headlines. Looks boring when I write it like that but someone like you could make it work I reckon (no pressure!).

Thanks, Scott, that's a good idea, though the lines between the 'quality' and the 'popular' press blur more every year!

Quote: Baumski @ March 11, 2007, 9:47 PM

The originality of the idea immediately put me in mind of The Two Ronnies.

Forget to say before Baumski that I love this paradox you used earlier!

Good stuff, Fred. Different and clever. What I like most about it is that there are so many different sketches you could do with these characters.

Quote: Fred Peters @ March 13, 2007, 6:38 PM

Thanks, Scott, that's a good idea, though the lines between the 'quality' and the 'popular' press blur more every year!

That's true Fred, but I don't think that should stop you developing an idea. The way different people (cockneys, council estate dwellers, black people, white businessmen, Indians, mums, students, hippies - anyone really) are stereotyped for comedic purposes I think means you would have licence to pursue it.

Damn right, Scott. Cheers everyone.