Focus on prose or script?

I've just finished reading one of the many "how to" books on writing and he said it's very difficult to make a name in any field so if you write poetry, prose and script you are wasting 66% of your time and you should concentrate on one area. I don't write poetry so according to this theory I'm just wasting 50% of my time, but I'm not sure I agree with this,. what are other peoples opinion on the subject?

hello,

I suppose it depends on what your objectives are. Do you want to be the best(that is to say highly skilled in craft and technique) writer you can be? Or the most successful (I know, both right?).

His (the how to writer you mentioned) advice follows common education practice of specialization i.e. General education (GCSE), narrowed down to a few subjects at A level, and specialization at degree/phd/masters.

However, all the different genres of writing - poetry, drama, and narrative - influence, and are influenced by each other. To know how each has and does influence the other, as well as being able to apply that knowledge, can only benefit your writing.

Although it is uncommon to be successful in more that one genre it can be done, as countless examples show, both historically and even amoung members of this forum.

The key question is perhaps: when you imagine your 'perfect' writing day, what have you written? Who is giving you the million pounds advance etc.

I think that's rubbish. :)

Write. Write lots. Write what makes you feel happy. Write from your heart. Tell the truth. Write feelings. Write ideas.

Then re-write it. Again and again and again.

Quote: blahblah @ July 22 2013, 6:44 PM BST

I've just finished reading one of the many "how to" books on writing and he said it's very difficult to make a name in any field so if you write poetry, prose and script you are wasting 66% of your time and you should concentrate on one area. I don't write poetry so according to this theory I'm just wasting 50% of my time, but I'm not sure I agree with this,. what are other peoples opinion on the subject?

Depends what you are actually writing. Screenplays? For TV? Sketches? Or just novels? They are all different, but might be better to find what you like to write first and stick to it.

I read a very good book that was recommended to me about writing fiction and screenplays. It is highly regarded by a lot of Hollywood industry readers and called the 'Writer's Journey' by Christopher Vogel. There's no magic formula for writing anything but I found this very useful.

In an interesting book of scripts for a couple of Coen brothers films I read a while back , the guy who wrote the foreword for it- a well-known film editor - said he didn't consider screenplays or any other scripts to be proper writing like what prose is . Said it's a completely different thing and most directors etc. use it as more of a guide than something precious set in stone .Therefore , I disagree with the idea of re-writing ad nauseam .How many sketches that are perfectly good have you seen on this site where everyone suggests how it can be improved.The writer changes it and it's turned into the flattest thing you've ever read.Hack something out.If you like it punt it about then if somebody offers you money but wants re-writes do it then.Even then , stand your ground if you disagree with them.If you are too needy they will walk all over you.Write prose,poetry,scripts, song lyrics or anything you want.

Would you do any re-writes at all Jaicee? Before sending something out to a producer?

Scriptwriting is a craft - not an art.
You are providing a blueprint for a film/sketch/sit-com.
But it had better be a good blueprint.
One that excites the reader - allows them to see how great this thing could be.
Good enough to attract actors, directors, financiers.

It's also a sample of your writing.
Is this person someone I'd want to work with?
Do they have the necessary skills to take this project further?
Will they work hard to get it right?

You send out all the hack jobs you want, mate.
Frankly, the rest of us could do without the competition.

I think Jaicee you're arguments would hold water on 3 conditions.

1 You publish you're writings in showcase not critique.

2 They were actually good or even entertaining.

3 You put spaces after full stops.

Seriously you're beating me for the title of "most unreadable writer on BCG"

And that took me years.

Granted they are sporadically entertaining but here's the rub. They're full of rookie mistakes, cliche and other EASILY CORRECTABLE FAULTS.

I'm not that good a writer, but paying attention to fair critique and even unfair critique. Has put me in a position of going full time as a writer in the next few months.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2013, 11:51 AM BST

Has put me in a position of going full time as a writer in the next few months.

This is exciting, Sooty. Well done you. :)