BBC Comedy College Page 4

Received an email from Micheal today after I'd enquired about this scheme. After all this too scared to open it. Going away to hide somewhere.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 11, 2008, 8:45 PM

Ive had sketches performed on stage and on radio and Im developing a few things with a few different production companies (My own shows and writing for some tv sketch show pilots)does that count, or would that not be enough still? Would you have had to have a full half hour of your own stuff on radio or tv to qualify?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, well, apart from own shows with production companies. But I've had sketches performed on stage, radio and will have some coming up on TV.

p.s. Tim did PM Michael or did you find his e-mail in the deepest, darkest parts of the Tinternet.

Quote: Aaron @ February 11, 2008, 10:03 PM

I've tried to warn you lot in the past that people do actually read what you say! :P

Yeah, I think if any of us feel the urge to write something bitter or controversial on the writers' forum it would be best to post it somewhere it will never be read, e.g. bbc writersroom.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ February 11, 2008, 10:54 PM

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, well, apart from own shows with production companies. But I've had sketches performed on stage, radio and will have some coming up on TV.

p.s. Tim did PM Michael or did you find his e-mail in the deepest, darkest parts of the Tinternet.

I've exchanged a few emails with him via his bbc email after he kindly read a couple of scripts that had been passed onto him.

I might actually be eligible for this, depending on the criteria ... whether or not I can afford to be eligible for it is a different matter.

If people read the stuff on here why is Little Miss Jocelyn still on? Or are we not the voice of the nation? Aaron will be disappointed!

Don't worry.

Charley are working on a piece of pure genius.

It's like Tennis. We keep adding more jokes and then send it back to each other. Layer upon layer.

Quote: David Chapman @ February 12, 2008, 12:50 AM

Charley are working on a piece of pure genius.

Unlike that sentence. And don't edit it to make it correct. I'm watching you Chapman.

Is that the name of the sit-com? It's Like Tennis. Truly genius. ;)

My brain is working quicker than my fingers - don't tell her that though.

Quote: roscoff @ February 12, 2008, 12:37 AM

If people read the stuff on here why is Little Miss Jocelyn still on? Or are we not the voice of the nation? Aaron will be disappointed!

I'd prefer to think of us as the conscience of the nation.

BBC can lick my balls. They should as they have no balls. They also have no money as they have spread it too thinly across their myriad TV and radio channels.

And why are they holding such a scheme in the first place? Surely there are many talented writers out there, who are probably unwilling to produce such tat as My Family/2 Pints of Lager.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but I won't be asking the BBC for any favours, and especially not kissing their institutionalised asses to get a piece of their comedy writing scheme pie.

I think they need to join a "new comedy commissioning scheme". Innovate. You know, that sort of thing that civilisation relies on to survive?

I don't know, maybe I sound out of line, but there're a lot of good writers on this forum and the BBC have a lot of cheek announcing such a scheme in my humble opininon!

I presume you have read the previous posts on this topic and are unperturbed about the thought of your views being eavesdropped-on and put in your BBC comedy writer 'dossier' :) Fair play to you.

No, I didn't read that, please strike my last comment from the record!

Actually, I think it needed to be said. The Beeb need stop spending their limited budgets on such hair-brained schemes and spend more on the programmes they commission.

You could design a whole comedy writing course from stuff you read on the net and books you borrowed from a friend. It's not that hard, I know, many of my friends are lecturers.

And you know how it always goes...

"So these are the principles of writing comedy, but you have to put your own particular style into it."

If you won you'll probably end up being posted on the 2 Pints of Lager team for the next season. They're on season 7 now, and 8 will possibly be the last season. So you'll probably get blamed for screwing up the season and never work in writing again.

I think the BBC need to grow some balls, read some scripts and say "yeah, even though this isn't the kind of generic comedy we normally look at making, we like your ideas and would like to work with you, and try and help you reach your potential. After all, it is our duty to TV license payers to bring them quality programming, and not waste money on silly ventures".

In my humble opinion!

I think most of us just want to see more strong, original ideas being produced in BBC (and other network) comedy. I'm not against mainstream shows, I'd love to write one, because many of my favourite shows ever have been mainstream. But fresh and original comedy seems now to be considered from the outset and "not mainstream", as if only formulaic, "by committee" comedies should fill the prime-time spots.

Fair enough, but I think they should dispense with such schemes which don't even benefit anyone.

I mean if a writer's already produced their stuff, why do they need to go back to school? Surely they should be writing and producing more stuff and not wasting their time?

I think a comedy writing scheme for established comedy writers which will not be a "foot in the door" is a flawed concept.

I mean, come on! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! ;)

The way I'm going to try and break through is just to keep plugging away with writing new and hopefully better material, keep in regular contact with the producers who welcome reading my new material and just see what comes. But I suppose one shouldn't completely write-off any opportunity until you know the full details. As far as I understand it the plus side of this BBC scheme is that the writers selected will at least be personally mentored by successful writers/producers. I don't necessarily think it's a 'toe the party line' situation, but rather a structured way to help them to eventually develop their own shows.