BBC Comedy College Page 2

I think it kicks off about April (I know this because I asked)

I suspect it will work very much like the Drama Writers Accademy in which you have to apply with a sample of your own work and an idea for another show you'd like to do. And if it's anything like the Drama Writing Academy you will probably have to had a piece of work produced before they'll consider you (that's conjecture on my part).

Incidentally, I've met Michael Jacob and he has a head like a walnut. He knows as much about comedy as a walnut as well.

It sounds like a great opportunity.

Quote: chipolata @ February 8, 2008, 10:18 AM

Incidentally, I've met Michael Jacob... He knows as much about comedy as a walnut as well.

I disagree, even though he doesn't find my stuff funny. Or to be more positive, he hasn't so far.

My Family may suck but Since You've Been Gone is quite good as is Not Going Out. While I'm grateful for all those not bothering at this early stage, the less competing the better, it's not going to cost anything and may be worth a punt.

The proper announcement will be made on 12 March and I'm using it as a good kick up the arse to write something new and mainstream but clearly my original voice and not something I think they'll like.

Quote: Robin Kelly @ February 8, 2008, 3:43 PM

I disagree, even though he doesn't find my stuff funny. Or to be more positive, he hasn't so far.

My Family may suck but Since You've Been Gone is quite good as is Not Going Out. While I'm grateful for all those not bothering at this early stage, the less competing the better, it's not going to cost anything and may be worth a punt.

The proper announcement will be made on 12 March and I'm using it as a good kick up the arse to write something new and mainstream but clearly my original voice and not something I think they'll like.

What sort of stuff does he normally like then?

Quote: Seefacts @ February 8, 2008, 4:25 PM

What sort of stuff does he normally like then?

I'm not sure. You go by what they have produced usually but as head of mainstream comedy, he's working on projects he didn't initiate himself but just tries to make as good as possible. He produced Two Pints, and I know he really rates Susan Nickson as a writer. And so do I. So I can't say "if he likes that crap..."

What's good about her? She has strong characters and relationships and tells a story and has a very high gag rate. Her gags might not always hit home but they're rarely if ever recycled from other comedies. She has a voice so that when I watch a Two Pints that isn't written by her, it's glaringly obvious. And not only because someone else's name is on the credits.

If we think more towards mainstream and accessible rather than towards surreal and challenging, it still gives us lots of scope to be fresh and original.

Quote: Robin Kelly @ February 8, 2008, 5:04 PM

I'm not sure. You go by what they have produced usually but as head of mainstream comedy, he's working on projects he didn't initiate himself but just tries to make as good as possible. He produced Two Pints, and I know he really rates Susan Nickson as a writer. And so do I. So I can't say "if he likes that crap..."

What's good about her? She has strong characters and relationships and tells a story and has a very high gag rate. Her gags might not always hit home but they're rarely if ever recycled from other comedies. She has a voice so that when I watch a Two Pints that isn't written by her, it's glaringly obvious. And not only because someone else's name is on the credits.

If we think more towards mainstream and accessible rather than towards surreal and challenging, it still gives us lots of scope to be fresh and original.

Two Pints... oooooh, let's not go there.

He did The Smoking Room too

12th March? Not long then. How did you find that out? Did you do the normal thing and ask? heh

And it's probably a good time to write something new. I will do that soonbut I'm writing a screenplay at the moment, and I'm quite enjoying it.

Quote: Chimes of Freedom @ February 7, 2008, 10:53 PM

10 points for being from an ethnic minority
10 points for being gay
10 points for being under 25
0 points for being anything else

Brilliance, COF. Laughing out loud That made me laugh.

Like Robin says above, the official announcement is not until March so we won't have full details until then... but I've been trying to find out a bit more in the meantime anyway.

This is probably going to disappoint some people, but from what I've gleaned I'm afraid to say it appears this scheme is not so much a way for new people to break into the industry, more a step up for existing writers.

I had a quick chat with Micheal Jacob himself earlier. This is what he said:

"Basically, the college is for people who have already done something/achieved something rather than for absolute beginners. It's designed to be a step up rather than a way in. People will be asked to send in work - either narrative or sketches, and initially assessed on that."

The "not a way in" message is a bit depressing (is there any doors open?). That said I'm pretty sure some of you are at a level that would be considered (i.e. successful podcast, sketch performed on newsrevue or watched YouTube vids?) so I'd suggest preparing something to submit in case you are asked (Micheal and others at the BBC would appear to be readers of this site :))

The competition for the places is likely to be fierce and judging brutal (they've got to get that short-list sorted quickly) so polish, polish, polish your scripts between now and then!

Quote: hotzappa11 @ February 8, 2008, 5:09 PM

12th March? Not long then. How did you find that out? Did you do the normal thing and ask? heh

No, I didn't ask. He volunteered the information in passing. That's all I'm saying. I'm not a name-dropper - as I was saying to Lucy Lumsden down the pub just the other day.

Quote: Robin Kelly @ February 8, 2008, 7:07 PM

No, I didn't ask. He volunteered the information in passing. That's all I'm saying. I'm not a name-dropper - as I was saying to Lucy Lumsden down the pub just the other day.

The criteria of the Drama one if to have had some work professionally performed/made. I wonder if this will be the same?

Quote: Seefacts @ February 8, 2008, 7:09 PM

The criteria of the Drama one if to have had some work professionally performed/made. I wonder if this will be the same?

If that's so then I think the key is to take a more long term approach to our careers. Rather than aiming for this year's academy, aim for next year's or the year after that.

Getting on the first scheme would be good but it might be best to set more realistic goals first. If we need our work performed then what do we need to do to make it happen? We might be holding out for a prime-time TV series but what about radio? Or our local amdram?

If we get some mates together and produce something and put it on YouTube and it gets thousands of hits, the BBC isn't going to say "well, it might be very funny and very popular but you didn't get paid for it, so we don't want to talk to you." I think it's about being pro-active and not waiting for competitions as a way in.

Setting goals for the next year I think is so important.

Quote: Mark @ February 8, 2008, 7:05 PM

so polish, polish, polish your scripts

But I don't know any Polish ... Teary