Why does anyone need religion? Page 10

Former EastEnders star Danniella Westbrook last night told how God is making sure she never returns to the drug that nearly killed her.

The former cocaine addict, whose nose was ravaged by snorting, says she is dedicating her life to the church after being saved by Jesus Christ - finding a new life she could not find in rehab or therapy.

Danniella, who is living in the US, has been "born again" after confessing her sins at her church there.

She now wants to return to the UK to share her new beliefs in a country she fears has abandoned religion.

"Gucci and Prada used to be my God. Now I have given my life to the Lord," she said. "If you had told me two years ago that I was going to be Christian, I would have laughed. I used to tell people, 'I'm way past saving.'

"But the first time I came to this church, I felt ­something so spiritual and amazing, I wanted to cry.

"After a few visits I found myself walking up to the altar to ask the Lord for forgiveness for my sins.

"It was an incredible experience. I have realised that there have been things I have struggled with, like guilt, that I would have never found a solution for. Because there are things that a therapist cannot give me - that I can only get from Jesus Christ."

Praise the Lord! <3 Lovey

Quote: Pingl @ April 21 2013, 5:46 PM BST

Oh I seem to have scratched some kind of itch. It was really only a joke the Christmas thing but everyone seems to be getting very hot under the collar about it.

When you tell a group of people they don't think, you shouldn't really be surprised when they step up to defend themselves.

I honestly couldn't give a shit what anybody else does or does not believe, I just don't want anyone's else belief or disbelief inflicted on me.

Not what it sounds like. Sounds to me like you're more than happy to inflict your belief on others, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

By the by the whole winter solstice thing is a red herring, it is a Christian festival that celebrates the birth of Christ that happens to have been placed where the old solstice was because it was a good time of year to hold it.

You started off by saying atheists should take a "moral stand" by not celebrating Christmas, presumably because it's not their holiday to celebrate. Given that the winter solstice wasn't a Christian holiday until they hijacked it and called it Christmas, should they not take a "moral stand" too?

Finally you are all assuming I am a Christian, I never said that.

You're correct, I did assume that. For the record, what God do you believe in?

Also Pingl, do you celebrate Christmas?

I, as I think I stated am not a member of any organised religion, I believe in God, no more, no less. I don't recall telling anybody they don't think, unless it was part of a joke I made about Christmas. Do I celebrate Christmas, the answer is yes, I am happy to partake in any celebration that gives me a day off, including Royal ones or anything. Am I interested in other peoples beliefs, I am always willing to respect them, but interested, not really. Am I trying to force my beliefs on you, no, I don't care what you believe as long as it gets you through the night and doesn't harm anybody. I couldn't even clearly explain what I believe apart from then fact I believe there is a God out there. Why am I talking about it, I saw the thread, I expressed my view and that is that really. Of course if you feel my beliefs are ridiculous that is up to you, it doesn't bother me in the least. Peace Brothers

I'd reccomend as excellent primers on religion, aetheism and having a good laugh.

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett and Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonegutt

I myself would like to be a Bokonist but I fear the hook.

Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

Quote: Pingl @ April 21 2013, 9:14 PM BST

Peace Brothers

Not sisters? :(

I, as I think I stated am not a member of any organised religion, I believe in God, no more, no less.

Which one? 3000 to choose from.

Do I celebrate Christmas, the answer is yes, I am happy to partake in any celebration that gives me a day off, including Royal ones or anything.

You started this discussion by saying that I, as an atheist, should defer from Christmas on principle. Now you're saying you partake in any celebration that gives you a day off? How does that make you more principled than me?

Am I trying to force my beliefs on you, no, I don't care what you believe as long as it gets you through the night and doesn't harm anybody.

What I don't believe in doesn't hurt anyone. Trouble is that the beliefs of religious folk tend to impact rather significantly on the rest of us, what with bombings, hijackings, infringements on civil liberties, miseducation, that sort of thing.

I couldn't even clearly explain what I believe apart from then fact I believe there is a God out there. Why am I talking about it, I saw the thread, I expressed my view and that is that really.

Only you didn't just join the thread to state your beliefs, instead you criticised and mocked the actions of those who don't believe, demonstrating exactly the sort of intolerance religious folk are won't to complain about.

Of course if you feel my beliefs are ridiculous that is up to you, it doesn't bother me in the least. Peace Brothers

Notice as no point have I mocked your belief. I only criticise your hypocrisy.

OBVIOUS JOKE ABOUT DATE RAPE

Quote: Lee @ April 21 2013, 9:46 PM BST

Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

UNORIGINAL SELF AGRANDISING STATEMENT

Quote: David Bussell @ April 21 2013, 10:02 PM BST

Which one? 3000 to choose from.

You started this discussion by saying that I, as an atheist, should defer from Christmas on principle. Now you're saying you partake in any celebration that gives you a day off? How does that make you more principled than me?

What I don't believe in doesn't hurt anyone. Trouble is that the beliefs of religious folk tend to impact rather significantly on the rest of us, what with bombings, hijackings, infringements on civil liberties, miseducation, that sort of thing.

Only you didn't just join the thread to state your beliefs, instead you criticised and mocked the actions of those who don't believe, demonstrating exactly the sort of intolerance religious folk are won't to complain about.

Notice as no point have I mocked your belief. I only criticise your hypocrisy.

Oh dear we are very serious aren't we. As I said quite clearly earlier on the Christmas thing was meant as a joke. If you didn't get it live with it. We are all hypocrites, if you think you are not you are fooling yourself. I really don't have to justify my beliefs beyond what I have already. As I said Peace Brother, and of course sisters.
Angelic Incidentally I will say this once more, I am not a member of any organised religion and feel no need to join one, I just believe in God. You seem unable to understand this concept. Of the 3000 I choose none, I just believe in god, as Groucho said I don't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member,

I find atheists on the whole are far far more superior and arrogant than religious people when discussing religion

Anyway if they don't believe in God, why get so bloody arsey and worked up about it?

Its like your fighting against someone - but its a someone that according to you doesn't exist! So why are you fighting against him??

Quote: Pingl @ April 21 2013, 10:15 PM BST

Oh dear we are very serious aren't we. As I said quite clearly earlier on the Christmas thing was meant as a joke. If you didn't get it live with it.

Oh, I see, it was a joke. "Atheists shouldn't have time off at Christmas". Groucho would be proud.

We are all hypocrites

Maybe. Some more than others, mind you.

I am not a member of any organised religion, I just believe in God. You seem unable to understand this concept.

Understand, yes. Comprehend, no.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 21 2013, 10:39 PM BST

Anyway if they don't believe in God, why get so bloody arsey and worked up about it?

Its like your fighting against someone - but its a someone that according to you doesn't exist! So why are you fighting against him??

I'm not battling any God as I don't believe in such a thing, so a fight would be impossible. It's God's fan clubs that are worth speaking up against, at least so long as they're they making objectionable statements/murdering people.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 21 2013, 10:39 PM BST

:S
Can you point out where you think anyone's done that? Cos I've no idea where anyone has even suggested they're disagreeing with or addressing God, rather than simply with a believer in God.

Quote: David Bussell @ April 21 2013, 10:52 PM BST

Oh, I see, it was a joke. "Atheists shouldn't have time off at Christmas". Groucho would be proud.

Maybe. Some more than others, mind you.

Understand, yes. Comprehend, no.

I'm not battling any God as I don't believe in such a thing, so a fight would be impossible. It's God's fan clubs that are worth speaking up against, at least so long as they're they making objectionable statements/murdering people.

Well if you can't comprehend, and I'm not totally surprised, there is little else to say.

Quote: Pingl @ April 21 2013, 11:05 PM BST

Well if you can't comprehend, and I'm not totally surprised, there is little else to say.

Ah, the old "If you don't know I'm not going to tell you" with just a little stink poured on for good measure. Nice.