The Micallef Programme

I recently bought Micallef In A Box.

I had fond memories of this Australian sketch show from when it was broadcast here on Paramount, and I'm pleased to find that it's still as funny as I remembered. Even the DVD sleeve notes are a delight.

Anyone else a fan?

Shaun's later show Newstopia is worth watching too, and is on YouTube. Not found much of his earlier work (Fast Forward and Full Frontal).

I'm a VERY big fan. I'd emigrate to Australia on the basis of Shaun's show if they'd let me (they won't).

Seen some of the other stuff, but the Micaleff Program/ Programme/ Pogram is the high water mark for me.

Fave moments: 'Ladies and Gentlemen, my father-in-law' ... and the guy coming home drunk, of course.

Dr Miracle always seems to make me hurt from laughing, and I don't know why.

He now hosts a panel type game show called "talkin' bout your generation". Basically there are three celebrity teams, each one represents a generation (baby boomers, Gen x, gen y)They are quized on things like TV and fashions from each era.

One of my favourite shows, have wasted hours on YouTube looking at clips and watched it religiously when it was on Paramount back in the day.

'District Attorney Ferguson' is pure genius.

The best bit about Ferguson is when he channels Dr Miracle.

Micallef did a Tonight Show thing for about a week too.

What's the panel show like?

Like most panel shows it depends on how the guest all get along. All the regualrs ( Micallef and the captains of each team) work well together. You can play along at home with most of the segments except for the last one.

Examples of some of the games.

A logo is drawn on a screen bit by bit - The first team to correctly guess wins the points. The quicker they guess the more points they get.

Theres another round where they are given tag lines from movie posters and have to guess the film.

something a bit quirky about the show- The prize each week is a trophy sent in by a viewer. Usually their old sports trophy or other hobby type activities that give out awards.

You could have a look on YouTube it may be floating around somewhere.

I'll surf the Tube.

Quote: reds @ May 28 2011, 11:34 AM BST

He now hosts a panel type game show called "talkin' bout your generation". Basically there are three celebrity teams, each one represents a generation (baby boomers, Gen x, gen y)They are quized on things like TV and fashions from each era.

Terrible, I don't think I ever laughed at any of the episode I tuned into.

Great! A thread on Micallef! I thought I was the only one!

I loved his Sketch show which I think I caught on its last run on Paramount Comedy (and then began harassing the mailbox teletext service on that channel to try and get a repeat) and still cherish my VHS recordings to this day, that and my recordings of Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned are the main reasons why I still have a VHS set up in my spare room....just in case I get a craving!)

Was excited to hear he was taking on a nightly show and regularly downloaded them after they went out for all three weeks or so before he was put into the bin *whipcrack* by his shortsighted TV channel execs...:(

Did enjoy Newstopia too, I DID get the sense from the interview Sketches in the Micallef Program that he was pretty much coming across (either intentionally or not..) as the Aussie Alan Partridge so interesting his next move was to become the Aussie version of Chris Morris!

I did hear a rumour that he was going to hose the Australian version of TV Burp too but that seem to come to nothing when the show hired someone I've never heard of, became rubbish after about 2 eps then disappeared. Shaun would've made the show ;)

Interesting to read about "Micallef in a Box", I'm assuming that's an import?
Will have to investigate that one surely so thanks for the tip :)

Stumbled upon a few clips of the show on YouTube, great show. Didnt know that Paramount used to show it.

Not that I'm a "OMG OMG ME AND THE CELEBS ARE SO COOL ETC" type but I actually bonded with Dave Gorman over twitter over our shared love for this show.

He's in Australia a lot and caught it while over there, I directed him to a few YT links and we shared our favourite moments.

I was waiting for the invite to go round to his place to cement our soon to be new friendship over a DVD night of this show (Apparently he picked up the box-set of Micallef stuff while he was touring there ) but alas, it never came.

These celebs eh, up their own arses. You bond with them over an obscure australian TV show, then suddenly they're too good for you.

Err yeah anyway....Dave Gorman likes this show too.

So there's that.

Here are a bundle of Micallef's shows over the years in playlists.

http://couchtripper.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=7210

Quote: faceless @ March 4 2013, 11:59 PM GMT

Here are a bundle of Micallef's shows over the years in playlists.

http://couchtripper.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=7210

I rather like Mad As Hell. Although I sometimes don't get it if I haven't seen the news.