Getting a sitcom commissioned is hard work. Page 2

It was word for word the same as their programme and they said it wasn't good enough - if it wasn't good enough why did they commission it in 2006 I was making a point about rejection and the fact that it's not what you know it's who you know.

Quote: MrBucktrout @ February 14 2013, 10:19 PM GMT

It was word for word the same as their programme and they said it wasn't good enough - if it wasn't good enough why did they commission it in 2006 I was making a point about rejection and the fact that it's not what you know it's who you know.

Ugh, some dum-dum pulls this stunt every other week. First time I heard of it was someone switching the names to Chinatown and the same thing applies there as it does here - you're pitching an idea that was right for one time in history and expecting it to work in a whole other instance. Who's to say what's good for 2006 has any bearing in 2013? Back in the mid-noughties we were all nuts about Shakira, now I'm struggling to remember why the question of whether her hips were lying was even under consideration.

And yeah, it is about who you know, so you better get knowing people, because if you think for one minute that being a writer is just about writing then you don't even have a piece on the playing board yet.

Nah, don't believe you. Sorry. You had me going until:

also the reply was from the script editor of the actual series.

What was the series? You're hardly going to be blowing any cover if you tell us.

I'm sure if you sent in the first episode of Derek with the names changed, the production company would come round and break your legs.

At least the attack could be classed as feedback.
I am also sure that whoever was sent round with the bat had to draw lots due to the demand from production staff.
As such their police statements regarding the incident would contain their names and that my son is a script writers network dream.

I rewrote the bible changing all the characters name to Jeff

I sent it to the Vatican

And they won't make me pope

Antisemites

Nb Mr buck trout you've confessed to being a time wasting Wally who risks getting a bad reputation

So I'd advise you to ask one of the mods to delete the thread

Unbelievable!

Quote: JohnnyD @ February 15 2013, 9:08 AM GMT

Unbelievable!

Possibly because it's not true?

Quote: MrBucktrout @ February 14 2013, 6:45 PM GMT

I chose a sitcom from 2006 that had been commissioned and produced by the BBC but only lasted one series

I Suggest your experiment was fatally flawed because a one series sitcom is a definite flop, considering the expense of developing a new show. It's much more economical to get at least two series out of any show than keep producing single series shows, so a one series sitcom has to be bad. Every one series sitcom I've seen in recent years has stunk the room out apart from Whites, which was just very middling and coincided with the huge budget cut announcement.

So if an experienced reader thinks this script might not work on screen then, in cash strapped 2013 they are highly unlikely to take a punt on it.

You need to do this with a successful sitcom and just hope they don't recognise it.

But I agree it's extremely hard indeed/virtually impossible for unknown writers to get commissioned. Even all the one series flops of recent years only got commissioned because they were written by names in the industry. Look at the BBC commissiong site and they even state this as one of the main factors they look for in deciding commissions.

Do standup, make a name for yourself, get onto radio or TV panel shows and then submit your sitcom (like they all are now). Your chances of getting it made will be infinitely greater.
:(

Seems like the only contender is this. Produced inhouse at the BBC

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775368/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Not sure why someone should attempt such an 'experiment' with this particular show

Micheal Jacob is Michael Jacob on imdb?

What was the point of the exercise? Wouldn't it have been a better use of your time to write something?

Quote: zooo @ February 18 2013, 11:29 AM GMT

Micheal Jacob is Michael Jacob on imdb?

Why would anybody ever want to spell their name differently but have it sound the same???? ;)

Quote: MCharsley @ February 18 2013, 11:29 AM GMT

What was the point of the exercise?

To prove conclusively that lack of success is not down to us, it's the clueless Business Man, in his suit and tie, keeping us out-!

Quote: Marc P @ February 18 2013, 11:33 AM GMT

Why would anybody ever want to spell their name differently but have it sound the same???? ;)

:D