Current radio comedy Page 110

This week's Bleak Expectations was really funny.

"I'm going to teach them the ways of the cake and the swan" :D

I thought that this week's Bleak Expectations was awesome, or should I say "thwartsome".

Better than the first ep, I thought, which relied on one-off jokes more than usual. Still dang funny though.

Glad we've finally got a decent 6:30 line up across the week. Bleak's back on sparkling form after a slightly disappointing last series. Add ISIHAC, Mark Steel, The Now Show and that squeaky voiced bloke and it's a pretty good mix.

Quote: chipolata @ November 30 2012, 10:27 AM GMT

Glad we've finally got a decent 6:30 line up across the week. Bleak's back on sparkling form after a slightly disappointing last series. Add ISIHAC, Mark Steel, The Now Show and that squeaky voiced bloke and it's a pretty good mix.

Good radio at the mo, Bleak Expectations stands out for me as the best. But Andrew Lawrence, ISIHAC and Mark Steel all great. For some reason I have never liked the Now Show, I always listen, but in a I'd prefer listen to the News Quiz kind of way.

Thank goodness the 11pm slot still contains enough stinkers to keep Radio 4's average hit rate suitably poor.

Quote: Pingl @ November 30 2012, 12:02 PM GMT

For some reason I have never liked the Now Show,

Well you probably never will then, because the references are all still from 30+ years ago.

listening to Bleak Expectations makes me realise again what a brilliant comedy performer Geoffrey Whitehead is, really underrated.

Quote: Nogget @ November 30 2012, 3:08 PM GMT

Well you probably never will then, because the references are all still from 30+ years ago.

Listened to it today, no don't care for it, make the news quiz a year round series I say

Quote: Pingl @ December 1 2012, 10:44 PM GMT

listening to Bleak Expectations makes me realise again what a brilliant comedy performer Geoffrey Whitehead is, really underrated.

Second that. Never misses a nuance. Even when he has to deal with rubbish like the Pam Ayres thing.

Quote: Nogget @ November 30 2012, 3:08 PM GMT

Thirty-plus? More like forty-plus. The format's essentially TW3, except none of the people singing are as good as Millicent Martin, and it's rare there's a sketch which mentions a politician where you couldn't cross out their name, write in "Harold Wilson" and have it be about as (un)funny. It's slightly ironic that when it started, it was "the two blokes from The Mary Whitehouse Experience that couldn't get a gig on TV"; now Rob Newman and David Baddiel are firmly in the "whatever happened to?" box, while Punt and (especially) Dennis have made a steady living. But the whole thing is incredibly tired, and not only makes you think that longer runs of New Quiz (itself a pale shadow of past glories) would be a good idea, but you start hankering after the edgy danger (note for younger reader: this may be heavily sarcastic) of Weekending.

Really enjoy ISIHAC, and The News Quiz. I only listen to The Now Show, for Punt and Dennis!

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ December 5 2012, 6:29 PM GMT

Thirty-plus? More like forty-plus. The format's essentially TW3, except none of the people singing are as good as Millicent Martin, and it's rare there's a sketch which mentions a politician where you couldn't cross out their name, write in "Harold Wilson" and have it be about as (un)funny. It's slightly ironic that when it started, it was "the two blokes from The Mary Whitehouse Experience that couldn't get a gig on TV"; now Rob Newman and David Baddiel are firmly in the "whatever happened to?" box, while Punt and (especially) Dennis have made a steady living. But the whole thing is incredibly tired, and not only makes you think that longer runs of New Quiz (itself a pale shadow of past glories) would be a good idea, but you start hankering after the edgy danger (note for younger reader: this may be heavily sarcastic) of Weekending.

Weekending was always known to be shit, it was on the whole very ropy, but was a good training ground for new writers. The News Quiz, in my opinion, is as good, in some ways better, than it has ever been. Obviously not everyone likes every panalist but on the whole its laugh rate is better than any other topical show on TV or radio. The format still works and shows no sign of tiring, they are constantly introducing new panalists and Toksvig is a great host. The Now Show is self satisfied bobbins.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 5 2012, 6:32 PM GMT

I only listen to The Now Show, for Punt and Dennis!

Really??

Theyre the main reason I never listen to it

Stealing a living

John holmes and Marcus bristock put them to shame IMO

Quote: lofthouse @ December 5 2012, 7:08 PM GMT

Really??

Theyre the main reason I never listen to it

Stealing a living

John holmes and Marcus bristock put them to shame IMO

But, Marcus Bristock isn't always on!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ December 5 2012, 7:12 PM GMT

But, Marcus Bristock isn't always on!

That because he's too busy dropping an E.

...and a G (but that doesn't really work)...