Current radio comedy Page 115

The last series of Elvenquest was really excellent, I thought. Certainly more enjoyable/funny than the previous two. Not listened to this new one yet, but surprised to hear it's not thought of that highly.

Dan

They resort to Tony Blair jokes.

I don't think it's too bad. It's not the sort of sitcom that is reinventing the wheel, but it still makes me laugh and is a nice enough way to while away thirty minutes.

Also enjoying Dilemma. Sue Perkins sitcom may be a bit shit but her panel show is pretty entertaining.

I thought Jeremy Harding wasn't bad but it's basically the same old schtick he's been doing for years. Not without it's moments, but old hat all the same.

Listening to Hard To Tell, and absolutely loving it.

Quote: chipolata @ March 5 2013, 10:51 AM GMT

Also enjoying Dilemma. Sue Perkins sitcom may be a bit shit but her panel show is pretty entertaining.

Actually, I thought it was pretty good and Sue Perkins was pretty good - and I say that as someone who would normally go quite far out of his way to pour scorn on Sue Perkins.

Listening to David Mitchell presenting History of British Comedy on radio2. Mitchell's contribution is minimal, but there are lot's of interesting interviews with the greats. The first few minutes though, a montage of well-known comedy clips, was so incredibly annoying that I nearly gave up on it there and then. Do yourself a favour and start listening from a few minutes in.

Rather enjoying both Susan Calman Is Convicted and Jeremy Hardy Speaks to the Nation.

Jeremy Hardy is brilliant as ever. I particularly liked his

"I know about as much about the 16th century as David Starkey knows about this one."

The Now Show, which resembles the News Huddlines for the under 80s. I'm sure their gags about the chancellor were told by Mike Yarwood about Dennis Healy 35 years ago. Jokes as stale as a British Rail sandwich (I might get a few quid for that one if I send it in).

Unfortunately, I have you agree with you, youngian. I haven't been impressed by The Now Show for quite a while. That's not to say there isn't the occasional brilliant joke, but it feels tired and really needs a shake-up and some more biting humour. I really miss Marcus Brigstocke :(

Can't be bothered with the Now Show has been lame for some time now. I wish they'd just keep the News Quiz on permanently.
Jeremy Hardy good value as always
HR a brilliant comedy with a tour de force performance by Nicholas Le Provost.

The Rita Rudner Show. The stand-up segments show her to advantage, but the sitcom elements fall completely flat.

I am really enjoying The Unbelievable Truth, the most consistently entertaining show on the radio, due in no small part to David Mitchell's chairmanship. The News Quiz is going through one of its less interesting periods, it seems to be going through one of its lets just wedge in material even if its nothing to do with the news story periods, with the honourable exception of Jeremy Hardy. Otherwise a lot of the newer panelists are poor, and Susan Calman is a one trick pony and not really suited to this kind of show.

I also see Lee Mac is hosting a documentary on the early career of Sid James on radio 4 next week, should be interesting.

I think Susan is very good. Andrew Maxwell and Justin Moorhouse both did okay; Daniel Finklestein not so much, but after criticism of left wing bias they feel obliged to field a Tory. Unfortunately funny conservatives theses days are rare as hen's bollocks.

There was a nice radio doc about Bernard Cribbins on R4 yesterday, part two on next week.

Quote: Tursiops @ April 24 2013, 9:08 AM BST

I think Susan is very good. Andrew Maxwell and Justin Moorhouse both did okay; Daniel Finklestein not so much, but after criticism of left wing bias they feel obliged to field a Tory. Unfortunately funny conservatives theses days are rare as hen's bollocks.

That's why I miss Alan Coren so much