Derren Brown The System Page 2

Watching Derren Brown is like watching a poodle jis onto a bunny

I just had a DB marathon cos this thread just reminded me that he existed.

Didn't see the new one, just went through the stuff on 4 overdose.

The guy is a genius, leaves you shocked at some of the things he does.
Really wouldn't wanna be his best mate though.

Quote: ian_w @ February 2, 2008, 4:07 AM

The guy is a genius, leaves you shocked at some of the things he does.

Like paying actors to pretend to be hypnotised?

I have a feeling that he put 4 grand bets on all of the horses in the last race to ensure a happy ending even though the horse that girl thought she had picked had lost. If I was getting 13 grand I would have went along with it as well.

The whole premise of last nights show was he actually got thousands of people who had never bet before to put money into something addictive. Perhaps fine if they never place a bet again, but if just one of those people goes onto have a gambling addiction for the sake of our so called entertainment. Just incredibly irresponsible television

Quote: Rob B @ February 2, 2008, 9:07 AM

The whole premise of last nights show was he actually got thousands of people who had never bet before to put money into something addictive. Perhaps fine if they never place a bet again, but if just one of those people goes onto have a gambling addiction for the sake of our so called entertainment. Just incredibly irresponsible television

Which you watched to the end I'm sure, and now I'm sure you won't watch again.

Quote: frostyboy @ February 1, 2008, 10:17 PM

I hope the program was crap. I was planning to watch it, but I remembered that Echo Beach starring the sexilicious Raquel Cassidy was on ITV1 at the same time, and thus I went with the latter.

She only appeared in one scene, and she didn't look that fabulous either. I've been cheated out of a wank! Angry

Now I'm sure we all knew that you're a wanker. :)

The 'system' is akin to a well-known investment scam. 20,000 people get an email/newsletter from a supposed 'investment' company. Half predict rising markets, half falling. In due course the 10,000 who got the wrong prediction are dropped while half the remaining 10,000 get further emails, again half predicting a rise, half a fall. Time passes then 5,000 (by now interested punters) get one of a further 2,500 'will rise' or 2,500 'will fall' predictions. The process continues until there are 500-or-so punters remaining who think they're on to a real winner and will happily invest all there dosh into any dodgy scheme the so-called 'investment' company recommends to them. Once they've done that they don't hear anything more of the company or their money.

Don't try this at home as you'll almost certainly get a visit from the boys in blue!

I've noidea who he is or what he does but he sounds a right twat to me.

Did you say Channel 4? If so I'm not surprised.

Quote: ajp29 @ February 2, 2008, 4:57 AM

Like paying actors to pretend to be hypnotised?

If you've been to his live show, you'll know thats not true. My mate got on stage and got absolutely done by him! Legend.

Quote: Charisma @ February 2, 2008, 1:14 PM

If you've been to his live show, you'll know thats not true. My mate got on stage and got absolutely done by him! Legend.

Laughing out loud My sister said that aswell but its all bollocks. Case in point on his TV thing he asked the audience if there was anyone with medical experience who could take his pulse.

Between a nurse and a masseuse (or some equivilent ludicrous 'medical' profession) he chose the latter. Then everyone was amazed at how his pulse slowed down. Horse shit. The woman was blatantly in on it. Ehy chose her and not the nurse?

Yes hes good at psychology, memory feats and illusions but thats it. Hes not magic. He can't guess what you are thinking. He can't 'plant' into your head. He can't make you rob security vans.

Quote: ajp29 @ February 2, 2008, 4:07 PM

Laughing out loud My sister said that aswell but its all bollocks. Case in point on his TV thing he asked the audience if there was anyone with medical experience who could take his pulse.

Between a nurse and a masseuse (or some equivilent ludicrous 'medical' profession) he chose the latter. Then everyone was amazed at how his pulse slowed down. Horse shit. The woman was blatantly in on it. Ehy chose her and not the nurse?

Yes hes good at psychology, memory feats and illusions but thats it. Hes not magic. He can't guess what you are thinking. He can't 'plant' into your head. He can't make you rob security vans.

Oh you skeptic Adam.
I don't agree, though I do think a lot of preparation goes on that we don't know about - so I suspect many of his tricks don't come as easily to him as he makes it look.

He can't read people's minds of course, but I think what he does is puts the words/thoughts in someone's head to begin with and then makes it look like he just read their mind.

Quote: ian_w @ February 2, 2008, 4:14 PM

Oh you skeptic Adam.
I don't agree, though I do think a lot of preparation goes on that we don't know about - so I suspect many of his tricks don't come as easily to him as he makes it look.

He can't read people's minds of course, but I think what he does is puts the words/thoughts in someone's head to begin with and then makes it look like he just read their mind.

Hes gotten to you hasn't he ian. The bastard. Whatever you do don't click your fingers!

Quote: ajp29 @ February 2, 2008, 4:18 PM

Hes gotten to you hasn't he ian. The bastard. Whatever you do don't click your fingers!

Laughing out loud

Quote: ajp29 @ February 2, 2008, 4:18 PM

I just did. For some reason I blacked out for a second and suddenly there's a bag of money and a magnum on my desk. Weird Huh?

Quote: Ray Dawson @ February 2, 2008, 4:21 PM

Laughing out loud

:O