A Fine Romance

Wondered what you lot thought of this. Is it funny, or am I just weird?

SCENE 1: LIBRARY FOOTAGE OF WORLD WAR TWO.
TEXT: 1941. WITH THE ADVENT OF OPERATION BARBAROSSA, GAY COUPLE ADOLF HITLER AND JOSEPH STALIN FOUND IT IMPOSSIBLE TO CARRY ON WITH THEIR RELATIONSHIP, WHICH WAS ALREADY STRAINED AT BEST
CUT TO: HITLER AND STALIN SAT TOGETHER LOOKING THROUGH SOME CD’S
STALIN: I think I should have the Tears for Fears album.
HITLER: Listen, can we do this another time, I’m finding it a little difficult
STALIN: Sure, sure. Listen, I was thinking, whoever keeps the TV should take on the overdraft. I mean, we did pay for it out of that so think it’s only fair.
HITLER: Oh, you’ve got it all worked out haven’t you.
STALIN: Don’t be like that.
HITLER: Well…
STALIN: It’s not as if we were that close.
SOUND OF A CAR HORN OUTSIDE
STALIN: Listen, I’ve got to go
HITLER: Is that him (PUTS ON HIGH PITCHED VOICE) Winston.
STALIN: Come on, we’re just hanging for a bit that’s all.
HITLER: You know he calls my book “I’m Camp” don’t you?
STALIN: Well…
HITLER: What?
STALIN: You are a little fruity.
HITLER: It’s Kampf! Mein Kampf! And never, ever, has the title been so apt!
SOUND OF CAR HORN AGAIN
STALIN: Look, we’ll have to sort this out another time, I’ve got to go… I will miss you.
STALIN GOES TO LEAVE, THEN QUICKLY TURNS, GIVES HITLER A PECK ON THE CHEEK, THEN DASHES OUT THE DOOR. HITLER HEARS THE CAR DOOR SLAM, AND THE CAR DRIVE AWAY. HITLER PICKS UP THE TEARS FOR FEARS CD, THEN STARTS SOBBING

END

lol. Its like one of those flashback things on Family Guy. It was ok.

your right lee, very family guy... actually thats a thought you could try sending that ginger, shouldnt be to hard to find an address.

I liked GJ - only prob I can see is the length of the introductory caption, it's almost Star Wars (I'm exaggerating, I know.) Plus, I know Operation Barbarosa was the specific invasion of Russia in '41 but not many would know that. (You into WW2 btw?)

1941. WITH THE ADVENT OF OPERATION BARBAROSSA, GAY COUPLE ADOLF HITLER AND JOSEPH STALIN FOUND IT IMPOSSIBLE TO CARRY ON WITH THEIR RELATIONSHIP, WHICH WAS ALREADY STRAINED AT BEST

Can it shorten to:

1941. After THE german invasion of Russia, HITLER AND STALIN end THEIR sexual RELATIONSHIP, WHICH WAS STRAINED AT BEST

I really liked it!

I like SlagA's version of the caption too if you want it more snappy, but the original makes it feel more like a real relationshippy documentary to me. Or it might work as a voiceover intro.

I don't know, I like it either way.

Yes very good and whimsical too.

I like this kind of surreal thing and I could just see it being played out. I think visually it would be very strong.

Hi GJ

I liked it and it is funny but it reminded me of the Satan/Saddam South Park love story. It's not (at all) the same, just the two evilists getting together part made me immediately think of that.

Think SlagA's caption is more straight-forward but even then you don't need the 'which was strained at best' on it as it's evident enough in the skit.

It was good though. I like the Tears For Fears reference and think as the sketch ends Everybody Wants To Rule The World should slowly build up to a crescendo with him really sobbing underneath. The music should drown out any noise he's making.

Well done.

Dan

If only Mon Fuhrer WAS gay - he would have put the 'camp' into concentration. The interiors to those huts would be just gorgeous.

Who's the Giver and who's the Reciever? I suppose that you can't hold on to Hitler's moustache so he must be the Reciever

For a minute, when I saw the title 'A Fine Romance' I thought it was someone praising that awful sitcom of the same name starring Dame Judy and Michael Williams (1980s).

Pleasant surprise to see an original sketch with two world tyrants. Could you make more of the Winston angle? Size of territory etc? e.g. Winston "It's not the size that counts." Hitler/Stalin "It is in our game."

Hitler: "We're just so misunderstood Jospeh."
Stalin: "I know Adolf. Sometimes I think the world has gone mad."
Hitler: "That's why the world needs us working in perfect harmony Jospeh. Bring a bit of order and style to the place."

Cheers guys.

I will shorten the begining, but I did like the reference to operation Barbarossa. The way I was looking at it was that people either knew what Barbarossa was or they didn't - theres extra little bit of humour for the people that do. Point taken though, and I'll cut it. Slag, not particularily into WWII, but studied it quite a lot at school and college - Also theres a copy of "Stalingrad" lying around the house.

Swerytd - Love the idea of "Everybody rules the world" at the end

ajp29 - Hitler is the giver. He takes Stalin from behind and hangs on to his moustache like motorbike handles.

Flicker - A Fine Romance was torture for me on a Sunday Evening, when my mum and da would watch it. I'm sure you see the relevance.

Ginger - me too! I was forced to watch it as a kid. I still have the abysmal theme tune ingrained in my head....I can remember the line from the theme tune about "yesterday's mashed potato...". Just dire. My god, Dame Judy has moved up a gear since then. Sadly, Michael Williams, who was good in other things, died didn't he?

Good sketch, nice one. It reminded me of South Park (Sadam and Satan), but that's a good thing. And they don't have a monolpoly on evil dictator reversal