Film versions of British sitcoms Page 3

Quote: Aaron @ September 17 2012, 3:26 PM BST

Oh let's not have that discussion, please!

Fair enough. P.S I forgot to say I even love the closing theme tune, Free Inside by Joe Brown.

Quote: Pingl @ September 17 2012, 3:30 PM BST

Fair enough. P.S I forgot to say I even love the closing theme tune, Free Inside by Joe Brown.

That is something I can't deny. Thanks to the Porridge film ("Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick" in the opening scene) I got to know Ian Dury. Now I'm an admirer of this cockney marauder (sadly he died a few years ago).

Thank you Porridge!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 17 2012, 3:49 PM BST

That is something I can't deny. Thanks to the Porridge film ("Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick" in the opening scene) I got to know Ian Dury. Now I'm an admirer of this cockney marauder (sadly he died a few years ago).

Ah yes the great Dury, I remember my Dad confiscating my copy of 'New Boots and Panties' because of the bad language. They were the days. Dury did the music for Adrian Mole. There haven't half been some clever bastards.

Quote: Pingl @ September 17 2012, 6:10 PM BST

Ah yes the great Dury, I remember my Dad confiscating my copy of 'New Boots and Panties' because of the bad language. They were the days. Dury did the music for Adrian Mole. There haven't half been some clever bastards.

Arseholes, bastards, f**king c**ts and PRICKS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtuVBPwzstM

They don't write em like that anymore. Try telling the kids of today...

How would you describe him? A music hall obsessed discoteer with a punk attitude (That would be my description for him)?

He started as a pub rocker with 'Kilburn and the High Roads' and then became a post punk/new wave success about 1979. I guess I'd just describe him as a particularly English poet and genius. He was beyond labeling really, I can't think of anyone you could compare him with, he was a law unto himself.

Quote: shaggy292 @ September 17 2012, 9:33 PM BST

Arseholes, bastards, f**king c**ts and PRICKS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtuVBPwzstM

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for making me dig this album out again.

Quote: Tursiops @ September 17 2012, 12:48 PM BST

The plot twist where Philip turns out not to be an African prince kind of grated.

I liked that. Funny how people see things differently.

The first Steptoe movie is probably my favourite. It tells a story well, and Brambell and Corbett are fine film actors. The first line of dialogue is Albert saying "well that marriage didn't last very long, did it?" -- and, we're off and running.

Rising Damp is my favourite show of all the sitcoms which became movies, and Rossiter possibly my favourite actor, but I don't like the film. They should've done it in a studio, not a real location imo. It just doesn't work in the real world - *I* think anyway.

My problem with the Porridge film is that it's half-an-hour or maybe longer before there's the whiff of a plot - the complete opposite of the first Steptoe. That's a terrible way to write a film. It's far too meandering. Good characters, actors, dialogue - nice location work in this instance. But that's not enough.

Quote: Pingl @ September 18 2012, 4:08 PM BST

He started as a pub rocker with 'Kilburn and the High Roads'

I bought this Kilburn album piss cheap at the flea market years ago. Great fun stuff.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 22 2012, 2:08 PM BST

I bought this Kilburn album piss cheap at the flea market years ago. Great fun stuff.

I wish I still had my copy, lost it with all my vinyl when I went on holiday and my brother had a car boot sale and sold it. I had the gatefold of Aladdin Sane,Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson, all the Smith's 12 inches, amongst many others. I could still cry when I think of all my lovely vinyl, my brother sold them for piss all money for some dogs home or something. I think I'll just wander off muttering to myself...

Quote: Pingl @ September 22 2012, 5:18 PM BST

Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson

This was not available on CD for years. Luckily there is a beautiful version on CD now...which I immeadiately bought the moment it came out.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 22 2012, 6:11 PM BST

This was not available on CD for years. Luckily there is a beautiful version on CD now...which I immeadiately bought the moment it came out.

Yea I've got it too. But its not the same as the old gatefold I had. I bloody loved that record

Think of the old Genesis LP's with the beutiful paintings. Not the same with these microscopic CD booklets... :(