How Important is Originality in Comedy? Page 2

What do Muslim fundamentalists put on their chips? Jihadi's sauce.

Who's the Jihadi?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ August 31 2012, 11:24 AM BST

What do Muslim fundamentalists put on their chips? Jihadi's sauce.

I would have thought non-brewed condiment would be more likely.

Or according to Jasmine's pronunciation...

Who were the funniest Islamic fundamentalist double act? Laurel and Jihadi.

What about the 70s-inspired Muslim tribute band...Jihadihadi? No?...okay.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ August 31 2012, 11:18 AM BST

I would love to see you do the Jihad/Yard of Ale joke at 10 gigs and see what reaction you get for it, I may be wrong, may be it works every time but I would guess that it fails as often as it works

Tony is completely correct to suggest that a joke that has them rolling in the aisles at Sainsbury's may not raise so much as a titter at Tesco.

I am not saying the joke will work everywhere. No. No. It would fail 10 out of 10 times if told at the 'wrong' sort of gigs.

All I am saying (apart from 'Give peace a chance') is that it has never failed at any of my own gigs.

Its only merit in this thread is that it is original and that was the purpose of my posting.

My original joke this week is, in context of when appropriate, I say the line:

'As I said to Carol Vordeman... You do the math!'

Quote: Jasmine @ August 31 2012, 11:39 AM BST

All I am saying (apart from 'Give peace a chance') is that it has never failed at any of my own gigs.

Fair enough, if it works it works, jokes which can appear nonsensical or poor when written down can get massive laughs when told in the correct manner ("it's the way I tell 'em").

As for originality, it's not a joke I've heard before in any form or variation. I think with the wider context of originality, if you are happy that you are being original then that is half the battle, however if lots of people tell you that it's been done before, and can prove it, then you'd have to be silly to plough on with it regardless.

I used to open on the following joke;

"I like to do down hills by doing somersaults, that's just the way I roll".

I then caught a short appearance by Stewart Francis on, I think, The Rob Brydon Show, and he had a joke which went something like...

"Heads between my knees, arms forward... that's how I roll."

Different jokes, both completely original, but too similar for me to avoid future accusations of plagiarism, so with regret I dropped the joke.

Quote: Marc P @ August 31 2012, 11:45 AM BST

My original joke this week is, in context of when appropriate, I say the line:

'As I said to Carol Vordeman... You do the math!'

Perhaps you should read this, Marc...

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2012/06/19/englishman-stabbed-for-saying-you-do-the-math/

Lol.

She said to me it doesn't add up. I replied... change the batteries!

Quote: Joyce @ August 31 2012, 11:35 AM BST

What about the 70s-inspired Muslim tribute band...Jihadihadi? No?...okay.

I vote this the best Jihadi joke - I must be in a good mood because I laughed.

I know she posted it but I hope jihadi good reason.

If you're out and about in a Tesco or a Sainsbury's and stuck for a laugh, you could always try asking one of the shop assistants if they know whether the alcohol in the mouthwash means it isn't suitable for Muslims.

what game do sucide bombers play?

Kabaddi Jihadi, or you could even have Jihadi Kabaddi, whatever floats your boat

Quote: Marc P @ August 31 2012, 12:39 PM BST

Lol.

She said to me it doesn't add up. I replied... change the batteries!

I was kicked off Countdown for saying to Carole "do I have to spell it out for you?"