Podcast on women in comedy

Our podcast on Women in Comedy, recorded live yesterday at the Edinburgh Fringe, is now up at the BBC College of Production website.

Hear comedians Jessica Fostekew and Grainne Maguire and comedy producer Tilusha Ghelani share their experiences of being female in a traditionally male industry, and reflect on how the landscape is changing as women comics become increasingly popular.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/collegeofproduction/podcast/tv/women_in_comedy

Happy listening!

@BBCCop

Quote: BBC College of Production @ August 24 2012, 1:03 PM BST

Hear comedians Jessica Fostekew and Grainne Maguire and comedy producer Tilusha Ghelani share their experiences of being female in a traditionally male industry, and reflect on how the landscape is changing as women comics become increasingly popular.

Is it 1972 or is it 2012?

If it's 1972, I'd love to hear two women comedians share their experiences of being female in a traditionally male industry, and reflect on how the landscape is changing as women comics become increasingly popular.

But if it's 2012, those two women and the BBC need to realise it's not 1972 any more.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ August 25 2012, 8:54 AM BST

Is it 1972 or is it 2012?

If it's 1972, I'd love to hear two women comedians share their experiences of being female in a traditionally male industry, and reflect on how the landscape is changing as women comics become increasingly popular.

But if it's 2012, those two women and the BBC need to realise it's not 1972 any more.

You know...I find a lot of male-written articles bang on about this male-dominated comedy scene. It's really cute they think like that...bless 'em. I often feel they're trying to say, "Give these poor women a go...let them have a little go at trying their best".

It's nice when you come across a guy who actually sees what's what and respects any comedy talent...male or female. I honestly feel it's the odd patronizing article that spreads such wrong vibes.

This forum is a great example of men and women getting together and appreciating each other as equals. It's a breath of fresh air.

I think with any comedian...if you're finding it hard to break into the comedy scene, you might just not be any good (yet).

I'm quite happy with my comedy...I think it's up to me to make it public and not for anyone else to allow me to do so. If that was the case, I'd always be thinking...I'm only here because a man told some other men to step aside and let me have a go.

I bet this makes no sense at all...good!

Quote: BBC College of Production @ August 24 2012, 1:03 PM BST

Our podcast on Women in Comedy, recorded live yesterday at the Edinburgh Fringe, is now up at the BBC College of Production website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/collegeofproduction/podcast/tv/women_in_comedy

Happy listening!

@BBCCop

It may be a traditionally male industry but that hasn't prevented genuinely funny women from being a success. It certainly hasn't been exclusively male for way over a hundred years. And since it became obligatory to be PC and largely liberal in comedy about 30 years ago, you've had many female comedy stars in one facet or another. So, like Veronica, I don't really see there being a need for this kind of thing, and feel that you lot just love to feel hard done by and unfairly untreated by men, even when the evidence clearly shows that you're not! Why don't you stop trying so hard to be 'wimin' and just be funny? Why do you make comedy (or anything) such a gender issue? Funny's funny!

Rolling eyes

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 25 2012, 11:55 AM BST

It may be a traditionally male industry but that hasn't prevented genuinely funny women from being a success. It certainly hasn't been exclusively male for way over a hundred years. And since it became obligatory to be PC and largely liberal in comedy about 30 years ago, you've had many female comedy stars in one facet or another. So, like Veronica, I don't really see there being a need for this kind of thing, and feel that you lot just love to feel hard done by and unfairly untreated by men, even when the evidence clearly shows that you're not! Why don't you stop trying so hard to be 'wimin' and just be funny? Why do you make comedy (or anything) such a gender issue? Funny's funny!

What he said.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 25 2012, 11:55 AM BST

So, like Veronica, I don't really see there being a need for this kind of thing, and feel that you lot just love to feel hard done by and unfairly untreated by men, even when the evidence clearly shows that you're not!

This kind of hits the nail on the head. Every stand up gig I've been to that has featured both male and female performers seems to be no different to an all male line up.

The audience applauded and laughed and were generally appreciative. So, I'm not really sure where this supposed prejudice is coming from. If you're not very funny or popular and therefore unsuccessful, I think blaming your gender instead of yourself is a pathetic cop out.

Is it difficult for women to get ahead in comedy? Is it difficult for anyone to get ahead in comedy? If the BBC think that not enough women are doing well, then perhaps they should clean up their own organisation, despite having numerous women in positions of power in the comedy department, most of the Roadshow / Night At The Apollo shows feature mainly male comics. Who's fault is that?

Maybe it's coming from people who say 'you lot' to mean all women. Even when arguing in the same breath that women and men are equal.

JUST A THOUGHT.

I think the bad treatment is more the assumption that we are being held back and not any bad treatment as such. Who's holding us back? It annoys me to hear female comics moaning on about not being booked for gigs at certain places. THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Do some legwork forgodsake. Male comics don't get booked every time either.

Trouble is...the more female comics moan about finding it hard to make a break, the more the issue is going to be thought of as a real problem. I don't think it is. I don't feel intimidated by men in the slightest. I don't need 'looking after' by anyone or to be given a helping hand because I'm a woman (honestly, I am).

One thing I do try to do in my writing is write more substantial parts for older females...so I suppose, in my little world, funny women are everywhere!!

Quote: zooo @ August 25 2012, 12:44 PM BST

Maybe it's coming from people who say 'you lot' to mean all women. Even when arguing in the same breath that women and men are equal.

JUST A THOUGHT.

Hopefully, he's just referring to the 'lot' who are moaning about being held back. Not us lot, Zooo. Never us lot!

:D

Quote: zooo @ August 25 2012, 12:44 PM BST

Maybe it's coming from people who say 'you lot' to mean all women.

May I remind you that I've heard women say 'you lot' about people going on about football, meaning all men. Can't have it both ways.

Again, talking to women like they have one hive mind. So what you're saying is... 'you lot say you lot, so what's wrong with us lot saying you lot'. You do see the hopeless circularity of that, right?

Of course some women say you lot, and they're just as wrong as the some men who say it.

I don't say it, (seeing as most of the men I know don't give a shit about football), so no, I don't want it both ways.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 25 2012, 1:08 PM BST

May I remind you that I've heard women say 'you lot' about people going on about football, meaning all men. Can't have it both ways.

A lot of women like football too, though...so technically that's not the same. However, my boyfriend doesn't enjoy women's football as much as men's (or so he says). Ahem.

If I wasn't on my phone it is pretty safe to assume what I'd be doing. That's right- and 8 thousand word rant. But I am so I can't.

So I will do a short version. Are you an active participant in the comedy industry hiring or booking acts? Are you a female comedian? If you can't say yes to one of these questions then it is safe to say you probably don't really know what you are talking about.

Sexism in comedy isn't nearly as bad as it was and the majority of people you meet won't give a second thought to your gender, but it does still exist and it is damaging. I know way more talented female new acts who drop out than their male counterparts, and a lot of those site the pressure that others' attitudes and behaviour puts on them. Maybe us wimmin just need to learn to be thicker skinned? Maybe. Personally, I get way angrier about it when it happens to others. I prefer to see idiotic opinions as a personal challenge rather than a barrier, but I'm in a smaller subset with those feelings.

The bitter truth is, particularly in standup, the the female act going onstage has to be a lot better to be considered equally as good. Mainly by the audience, but also by some acts and promoters.

I am going to win by just trying to be the f**king awesomest on the bill.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 25 2012, 1:18 PM BST

Are you an active participant in the comedy industry hiring or booking acts? Are you a female comedian? If you can't say yes to one of these questions then it is safe to say you probably don't really know what you are talking about.

Don't agree with that unless you're talking rigidly about stand up comedy, which in my view is a minor branch of comedy, however big it likes to see itself. The poster said 'comedy' so that's what I was talking about.